Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP Driving to Dublin from Wexford Parking

Options
  • 06-03-2016 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

Hi,

I will be driving to Dublin from Wexford town on Thursday. I am not confident enough yet to drive around Dublin City. I have to get to grand canal square by 9.30 but I have no idea where to park. I was hoping to park somewhere near the luas like bride glen etc and get the luas to my destination. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,334 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

For Grand Canal Square I'd say the Dart will be the better bet - to Grand Canal Dock (formerly called Barrow St.). Maybe park in Bray or Greystones station? Bride Glen Luas is on the green line which is not yet connected to the red line which goes down the northside of the Liffey and from the Spencer Dock Luas stop it would be a short walk across the river to GC Sq. If you were driving up the M7 you would park at the Red Cow and the Luas red line would be the solution but not if you're coming up the N11.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Geog1234

A suggestion is to take the train the whole way leaving Wexford at 05.59 and reaching Pearse station at 08.38. Grand Canal Square is a ten minute walk from there.

Alternatively get off the Wexford train at Lansdowne Road station and catch the next DART one stop to Grand Canal Dock station (which is a little closer - a walk of 7 minutes or so).

Free car parking is available in the old cinema car park (adjacent to Wexford station) for holders of rail tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Brides Glen Luas stops at Stephens Green (Dublin 2) and takes approx 45 mins. You would then have a good 20 min walk to Grand Canal Sq.(other end of Dublin 2) when you know the way.
    The best option would be the Dart and get off at Barrow St and Grand Canal Sq is only a 5 minute walk away from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

There's a q-park under the Grand Canal Theatre that you can book in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I find its handy to get the luas to charlemont then get a Dublin bike and cycle along the canal cycle route to grand canal dock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Park at Greystones or Bray and, get the Dart to Grand Canal Dock. The green line Luas doesn't go anywhere near Grand Canal Dock. The Dart will leave you a 2 minute walk from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

There's a q-park under the Grand Canal Theatre that you can book in advance.

Its very expensive

As suggested, park in greystones and get the dart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Its very expensive

As suggested, park in greystones and get the dart.

It can be and I just realised the OP doesnt want to drive in the city itself.

Its fierce handy for that area though.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭vikings2012

Thanks for all the replies!!!
    ProudDUB wrote: »
    Park at Greystones or Bray and, get the Dart to Grand Canal Dock. The green line Luas doesn't go anywhere near Grand Canal Dock. The Dart will leave you a 2 minute walk from it.

Is there much parking in Bray? and if I was to get the DART where exactly would it drop me off? Also am I right in saying that the Dart goes every 15 mins?

Would it be better if I just drove from Wexford to the Redcow and got the LUAS there instead?

Sorry for all the stupid questions!

Thanks again!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

There's more parking in greystones I would imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,334 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Is there much parking in Bray? and if I was to get the DART where exactly would it drop me off? Also am I right in saying that the Dart goes every 15 mins?

As the previous poster has said, there's probably more parking in Greystones though the trains are not as frequent because half the trains start from Bray which is closer to town so the frequency from Bray is every 15 mins but it's every 30 mins from Greystones. Best option for you would be to aim to catch the 08:30 Dart from Greystones which gets into Grand Canal Dock at 09:14.
    Would it be better if I just drove from Wexford to the Redcow and got the LUAS there instead?

Definitely not as in the evening going home you would have a horrendous trip down a very congested M50 and it's usually busy all the way to the M11. Even if you're going home before rush hour, it's not worth the extra miles and time involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,268 ✭✭✭✭ted1

There's more parking in greystones I would imagine.

But only every odd DART goes there

• Registered Users Posts: 23,268 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If your going near graftin street go to the Luas park and ride in carrickmines

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

ted1 wrote: »
    But only every odd DART goes there

Every second DART runs to / from Greystones. Thirty minute frequency compared with fifteen minute from Bray.
    Trying to find parking at Bray would be perilous. Greystones has a large carpark, albeit three or four minutes walk from the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

your best and most direct options are.
    1. drive to greystones and take dart.
    2. take the early train from wexford. it apparently still stops at lansdowne road (it's been a very long time since i got that train) but it used to stop there when i was getting it. walk or take a dart a stop back. forget about anything else.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Advertisement