Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy duty starch required

Options
  • 06-03-2016 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the correct forum but could anyone advise where I could get some, either soak in or spray on?

It's actually for an item of canvas type luggage; was looking for something heavier than is used on shirts etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

yu could use some watered down pva. brush it on and let it dry, but try in a test area first

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Chelon

Where could I get pva? It would need waterproofing afterwards, was thinking of spraying on some Fabsil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

PVa is also known as school glue. It's the white glue that is given to children. It's also used in the building trade. You can buy a small bottle in most shops in the stationary dept. you can also buy it at a builders merchand in larger quantities. . Mix the pvsa with water and brush it on. Experiment first, the less water you use, the stiffer. Have a look on youtube. It should be a bit more waterproof afterwards.

Excellent, thanks. Sounds like pva with a topping of Fabsil will do the job.

Tried this today and absolutely fantastic, thanks so much for the tip.

It is a heavy canvas type material so made up a 50/50 pva and water. Brushed on easily; best of all it dried in to the natural colour, maybe just one shade darker. Only slight issue was a couple of white patches where I was over generous with it but I'm sure these will sponge off and cosmetics isn't an issue with this item.

If it was I'd suggest doing maybe 3 or 4 coats in lighter coverage.

Will spray on the Fabsil when dry, I just hope it will soak into the fabric.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Prinks

The PVA will have sealed the fabric, so I don't think Fabsil will have any effect.

Prinks wrote: »
    The PVA will have sealed the fabric, so I don't think Fabsil will have any effect.

The Fabsil appeared to soak in, it certainly didn't run off. I gave it 3 coats. Do you think it won't be waterproof?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Prinks

It'll definitely be waterproof now!

I know PVA in the form of sheet or string is water soluble so I'm guessing that the glue would be the same, ie if it got wet then it would just dissolve; that was why I went with the Fabsil.

Time will tell in the first heavy rain shower...

Advertisement