Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New wheels for VW Touran (Whats E.T value)?

Options
  • 06-03-2016 8:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭

Need to buy some new wheels for my VW Touran 2005 2.0tdi. Currently got winter steels on 195 65 15.

Want to buy a new set of alloys (VW OEM), so will go with the same 195 65 15 config.

As far as I can see on my wheel measurements, I need the following:

5x112, 6Jx15, ET 47

The ET is the confusing part for me as lots of wheels being sold on the internet with different ET values (37-50).

All wheels seem to be sold for Golf, Passat, Touran.

Don't want to get the wrong ones.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

ET is the offset.
    I fitted 16" GTI wheels to a Touran and they looked good. Unless this set is for your winter tyres then 16 inch would look so much better than 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

colm_mcm wrote: »
    ET is the offset.
    I fitted 16" GTI wheels to a Touran and they looked good. Unless this set is for your winter tyres then 16 inch would look so much better than 15.

But how about ET? Do I stay with 47?

Yeah, the mk5 golf has a recommended offset of 47 as well, and has the same pcd and centre bore size, so I would just get genuine golf or jetta mk5 or mk6 wheels if possible.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Yeah, the mk5 golf has a recommended offset of 47 as well, and has the same pcd and centre bore size, so I would just get genuine golf or jetta mk5 or mk6 wheels if possible.
    But some genuine listed wheels for golf's, passats and tourans have different ET sizes?

That's why I'm confused.

Passages and older golfs have a different offset, but all will fit in the hub, offset is basically where the hub is relative to the middle of the tyre.

Have you links to ones you're looking at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If you enter your car details on one of the alloy wheel websites (I have used felgenoutlet.com) you'll see what is recommended to fit your car. Occasionally you'll see a number of different possible offsets listed, but usually they're virtually identical i.e. 47 and 50 for your car. An extra 3mm isn't going to make any real difference one way or another.

I'm assuming it's to do with clearance of the brake calliper?

Does a higher number give more clearance or a lower number?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,278 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The offset decides how far inward / outward the wheel sits.
    The smaller the offset number, the further out your wheel will go.

So the higher the number the more chance it has of hitting the caliper?

Advertisement