Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA

Options
  • 06-03-2016 3:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I have some questions about qualifying for the Back to education allowance.

I completed my leaving cert in June 2015 and decided to take a year out to figure out what I wanted to do and save for college. I'm currently 18 and receiving a social welfare payment since October.
    I have no other way of financing for college without the BTEA.

1. I want to do a plc level 6 in sept 2016 will I qualify for BTEA?

2. If I do a level 6 in sept 2016 under BTEA does that mean I can't do a level 8 in sept 2017 under BTEA?

3. When should I apply for BTEA?

4. I need to have left formal education for a minimum of 2 years, so what exactly is considered as formal education?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You're excluded until July of 2017, so you could apply for the 2017/2018 Academic year.

BTEA is designed to take people off the Live Register and place them back into full time edu, not really for those progressing as normal, SUSI is there for school leavers.

If you wait two full years CAO point inflation will reduce your options when applying for courses if you're looking at anything in STEM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Shandy223

ED E wrote: »
    You're excluded until July of 2017, so you could apply for the 2017/2018 Academic year.

BTEA is designed to take people off the Live Register and place them back into full time edu, not really for those progressing as normal, SUSI is there for school leavers.

If you wait two full years CAO point inflation will reduce your options when applying for courses if you're looking at anything in STEM.

I'm not looking at anything in STEM. The only reason I wanted to get the BTEA is because I can't get a susi grant. Do you think I won't qualify for BTEA if I'm someone progressing as normal?

If you don't qualify for SUSI then its judged your family can afford it, so ill assume that's not an option. With the independence rules if you can get your family to legally state they won't support you at all you could get SUSI now rather than sitting on the scratcher for two years waiting for BTEA eligibility wasting your time and also vulnerable to a change in the law or rules during that period.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 flowerpott

hello guys

Im a 26 year old female and ive apllied through cao to go to WIT this year.

I just have few questions if anybody can help me out.

i never filled out the grant section on the cao form as i just thought id apply to btea if i actully get a place on the course, so my question is , if i am approved is it ok to just apply for the susi to cover registration fees during the summer months or should i be doing this sooner?

and which one should you apply to first btea or susi? just a slight bit confused with it?

CAO grants bit just lets SUSI know you're coming, so they can send you an info booklet etc.

First thing you should do is confirm with the local SW office that you're BTEA eligible. Then go from there. SUSI should be in by end of July if you want a prompt payment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 flowerpott

ED E wrote: »
    CAO grants bit just lets SUSI know you're coming, so they can send you an info booklet etc.

First thing you should do is confirm with the local SW office that you're BTEA eligible. Then go from there. SUSI should be in by end of July if you want a prompt payment.

Thanks very much... I've checked and I am Btea eligible.. do I need to wait to see if I got the course before I apply to susi???

You can open your application now and then when CAO is over you fill in an "FCA" or Final Course Acceptance form.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭simonsez

btea

how long does it take to find out if your eligible after applying, usually? ...............

Advertisement