Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ageing in a timber Barrel

Options
  • 06-03-2016 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering how much a barrel to age a stout or ale might set me back? I'd be looking at the 20-40litre range but could go smaller or larger if it was easier.

If I was aging a stout could I use a burnt whisk(e)y cask?
    Would a live beer infect the timber to stop me re-using it? especially a Belgian style with some Brett

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

I'm wondering how much a barrel to age a stout or ale might set me back? I'd be looking at the 20-40litre range but could go smaller or larger if it was easier.

Just be aware that small barrel are much more permeable to oxygen than larger ones.

One other option is to use glass carboys with oak chips or spirals
    If I was aging a stout could I use a burnt whisk(e)y cask?
    Would a live beer infect the timber to stop me re-using it? especially a Belgian style with some Brett

May reuse barrels over time, the wood flavor will fade over subsequent uses but it can be soured and turned to different uses

Brett will happy live in wood, so it will be infected. But that's not always a bad thing :);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

oblivious wrote: »
    Brett will happy live in wood, so it will be infected. But that's not always a bad thing :);)

Hi Oblivious,

Could you just explain that last bit for the slow of mind :).

Caraway sorry sidetrack your thread. Interesting topic.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Hi Oblivious,
    Could you just explain that last bit for the slow of mind :).

Brett aged beers :)

Which if you wanted to you could further inoculation for souring/wild fermentation

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

20-40 litre barrels are mainly decorative. You need to go a (good) bit bigger to get ones suitable for aging.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Hingo

n97 mini wrote: »
    20-40 litre barrels are mainly decorative. You need to go a (good) bit bigger to get ones suitable for aging.

yeah careful of this. one of the lads in the local HB club bought one recently, brewed a beer for it, went to sanitize it with boiling water and discovered it was sealed with wax (the boiling water melting wax somewhat into his sink)
    completely useless for brewing. You'd want to be after a a charred barrel, easier and probably more worth a used one from wine/whiskey etc it all. but they'll be huge..

There might be places in the US that might do custom Kentucky barrels for Home Brew, but they might cost you a fair bit for the use you'll get (if you can even get them over)

I've had success with oak chips in the carboy myself for a 15L batch of Choco Chilli RIS, aged on chips that were soaked in some teelings. (got a bronze medal for on Saturday's comp)
    other options are oak staves which I hear are much more effective to use.

• Advertisement
Advertisement