Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

another victim

Options
  • 06-03-2016 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭

I posted here a few weeks ago about buzzards being shot in my locality. The other day i got a call from a friend saying that they had found an injured buzzard. When i arrived to see her she had a massive gunshot wound to her left wing with one of the bones protruding through the upper part of her wing. She weighed absolutely nothing so was obviously on the ground for some time. I got contacted the relevant authorities and they took it from there. Unfortunately the magnificent looking bird had to be put to sleep due to septicaemia. When will this kind of small minded crap cease. ....im so angered by the whole thing its just unbelievable ignorance
    Ps. Id post a pic if i knew how

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

cd07 wrote: »
    I posted here a few weeks ago about buzzards being shot in my locality. The other day i got a call from a friend saying that they had found an injured buzzard. When i arrived to see her she had a massive gunshot wound to her left wing with one of the bones protruding through the upper part of her wing. She weighed absolutely nothing so was obviously on the ground for some time. I got contacted the relevant authorities and they took it from there. Unfortunately the magnificent looking bird had to be put to sleep due to septicaemia. When will this kind of small minded crap cease. ....im so angered by the whole thing its just unbelievable ignorance
    Ps. Id post a pic if i knew how

That's absolutely awful and I'm very sorry to hear it. Can I ask you approximately where you are? I ask partly because I hope this isn't happening near me( in South Kilkenny) but partly because I'm curious about the Buzzard. Even 20 years ago, it was only really found in Ulster AFAIK. Now it seems to be widespread -I've seen it locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

That's absolutely awful and I'm very sorry to hear it. Can I ask you approximately where you are? I ask partly because I hope this isn't happening near me( in South Kilkenny) but partly because I'm curious about the Buzzard. Even 20 years ago, it was only really found in Ulster AFAIK. Now it seems to be widespread -I've seen it locally.

Im in North co . Dublin. Seems like a regular thing up here....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

They're quite common throughout the country at the moment, but less so across the Shannon and they're still increasing in density in some parts of the south-west too.

Terrible that something like this was done to such a fantastic bird. Glad you contacted the relevant authorities though - it's very important that all of these incidents are at the very least documented so that they can be addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

So why are buzzards being shot? Is it just mindless ignorance or is it to "protect" other birds for shooting ( not that that would be any justification).

It's still good news to see them spreading. I presume I'm correct in saying that it's a recent phenomenon?

On a totally unrelated note, I'm watching a pair of jays rooting around in my garden at the moment . Another species on the increase, I think. Don't ever remember seeing them until fairly recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Some ignorant people think Buzzards are a threat to game birds and have this outdated Victorian attitude that anything with tooth or talon needs to be exterminated.

I'm in a small game shooting syndicate and we rear and release 400-450 pheasants every year. We have had breeding buzzards on our patch for many years now and none of us have ever seen a buzzard take a pheasant. I've often watched groups of pheasants pecking around under the feeders ignoring the buzzards soaring past calling loudly to each other. The only time a buzzard caused us any problems was when a young one started roosting in a tree growing in our release pen. This could have panicked the very young pheasants even if the buzzard didn't take any. It was easily persuaded to move on by hanging a few old CD's on string from the branches.

Anyone who shoots buzzards because they think they are protecting game birds is not only breaking the law, they are completely misguided. Most of a buzzards diet is invertebrates. Sadly, there is always one person who claims that they once saw a buzzard take a pheasant and too many people who believe it and extrapolate that all buzzards feed exclusively on game birds. Just like the pigeon fanciers who claim that every bird that ails to return was killed by peregrines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

Unhappily for the buzzards, they present what I imagine is a pretty easy shot too. Its a shame that lads line up these birds in the sights and make the decision that yes, its ok to shoot. Idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Have a nice video on my phone from yesterday of two buzzards soaring above some trees and there was a cock pheasant on the ground and I reckon they were watching him but they soon soared away towards a few rabbits on the edge of a ditch. I'd much rather watch them than be a idiot and shoot them. They're fantastic to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

Srameen wrote:
    All the local breeders - Blue, Great, and Coal Tits, House Sparrows, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Robin, Dunnock etc are voracious right now in preparation for breeding. While rearing young they will be empting the feeders daily.

Have a nice video on my phone from yesterday of two buzzards soaring above some trees and there was a cock pheasant on the ground and I reckon they were watching him but they soon soared away towards a few rabbits on the edge of a ditch. I'd much rather watch them than be a idiot and shoot them. They're fantastic to watch

I shoot every week where there is at least 6 buzzards present in the area. Yesterday i counted 6 hen pheasant and 2 cocks in the one field blissfully ignoring two very low flying buzzards. Its just complete ****e-talk to say buzzards hunt pheasants imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Some ignorant people think Buzzards are a threat to game birds and have this outdated Victorian attitude that anything with tooth or talon needs to be exterminated.

I'm in a small game shooting syndicate and we rear and release 400-450 pheasants every year. We have had breeding buzzards on our patch for many years now and none of us have ever seen a buzzard take a pheasant. I've often watched groups of pheasants pecking around under the feeders ignoring the buzzards soaring past calling loudly to each other. The only time a buzzard caused us any problems was when a young one started roosting in a tree growing in our release pen. This could have panicked the very young pheasants even if the buzzard didn't take any. It was easily persuaded to move on by hanging a few old CD's on string from the branches.

Anyone who shoots buzzards because they think they are protecting game birds is not only breaking the law, they are completely misguided. Most of a buzzards diet is invertebrates. Sadly, there is always one person who claims that they once saw a buzzard take a pheasant and too many people who believe it and extrapolate that all buzzards feed exclusively on game birds. Just like the pigeon fanciers who claim that every bird that ails to return was killed by peregrines.

Agree with all of the above. There is also the argument that hand reared pheasants don't have the natural survival instinct or sense of predation danger of truly wild birds, so it's hard to blame buzzards who on the other hand will apply their instinctive predatory gene when a handy meal presents itself in the form of rabbits, pheasants etc. While I'm not being critical of game shooting, the tameness of some released pheasants make them soft targets for man or raptor.

Advertisement