Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On the topic of Irish junior cert orals

Options
  • 06-03-2016 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

So I have my orals on then next Thursday at the time of writing this I have not had any information prior to this point as I have not had a teacher up until this point,
    I do not want to do with orals I have huge anxietys towards new people full stop besides actually speaking to them and my anxiety makes it seem as though I have a stutter,

Is there any way to avoid the orals or is too late? and does any one have any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

At this point I'm fairly sure it's too late to do anything about it, for the Junior Cert anyway
    However, for the Leaving Cert, if you have been diagnosed with anxiety and/or speech impediments etc and you feel that having to do the orals puts you at a disadvantage compared to other students you will be able to apply for an oral exemption through the school. The department will assess your case and may give you a full exemption or they may make the oral sections of our exams be worth less marks (or they might not give you anything but it's worth a try). I would suggest discussing it with the guidance counsellor in your school about it next week. The guidance counsellor may be able to help with your anxiety too

• Registered Users Posts: 4 the Shaman

Thanks for the quick response! even though it's not exactly what I want to hear I appreciate it, I suppose at least it's just the juniour cert but thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭carefulnowted

I'm sorry you have this issue - anxiety is never easy to deal with. Unfortunately, you will most likely have to go through with the oral, but you can take measures to try to make it easier for you. I'd definitely recommend speaking with your guidance counsellor and letting him/her know about your worries regarding the oral, they'll be able to give you advice and help you get through it as easily as possible.
    If you like, you can let the examiner know that you are very nervous before the oral. They'll see that you are genuine and will let you take your time and take breaks when necessary. They're trying to help you get the best marks you can and won't penalise you if they can help it.
    Wishing you the very best of luck in your orals and your Junior Cert :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 the Shaman

Thanks dude! I'll see what I can do!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,162 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The examiner is there to give you the opportunity to show what you know. They are not trying to catch you out. They can meet with you in advance if you think it would help. Lots of people have anxiety and the examiner will definitely have experience of testing someone who is very anxious. Get your teacher to have a word with them in advance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement