Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can you find out someone's insurance details months after an accident

Options
  • 06-03-2016 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭

hi there
    a friend of mine is in a situation. someone hit and damaged her property.
    the driver gave name etc. and said he would pay.
    a 3rd friend came upon the driver but the homeowner wasn't there, nor was I.

long story short he wont pay . solicitors involved but probably a waste of time.

is there any way that I can his insurance details so that i can get on to the insurance and get them to pay .
    if the 3rd friend had got the dtails all this would be sorted long ago but he didnt

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Do you know where they live? If so just get the policy number from their insurance disc and contact their insurer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

If you have the reg number of the vehicle, get your solicitor to put in a request to the MIBI to canvas all insurers to trace a policy. Long drawn out process though, better to have a sneaky look at the disc as suggested above

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

If you have the reg number of the vehicle, get your solicitor to put in a request to the MIBI to canvas all insurers to trace a policy. Long drawn out process though, better to have a sneaky look at the disc as suggested above
    But if it's months after they could be with a different insurance company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Sam Kade wrote: »

The date of issue is on the disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

The date of issue is on the disc.
    So, how' will that solve the problem if they changed to a different insurance company?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

it won't. But it will tell you if that is a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

it won't. But it will tell you if that is a problem.

I didn't think that needed to be explained, I was clearly wrong.

Sam Kade wrote: »

The current insurer will know who was the previous insurer. Also, insurance companies can easily call up records if they ever had a certain reg on cover for any given date

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

he lives about 30 minutes away.
    I don't have the reg

the vehicle is in a compound. its an old farm but now used as some kind of storage and factory.
    I cant just walk in and look at the vehicle

I will drive up there some morning and see can I work out a plan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

Rock up there and inform him you will be claiming from his Insurance.....don't let on you don't know who they are, ...and have a sneaky look whilst there, if the car is handy. Might jog him into action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Surely the Gardaí will be interested if someone is refusing to hand over insurance details after an accident?

Happened my mum before. Garda said that he couldn't give the details directly, but if we wanted to put in a complaint they would follow up with an investigation and we'd probably get them at the end.

You could get the details from the disk, but it sounds like he would deny involvement. Getting the Gardaí involved might be the only course of action if not suing MIBI.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Getting the Gardaí involved might be the only course of action if not suing MIBI.

You can't get compensation from the MIBI for property damage unless you can prove the person who did it was uninsured

TheChizler wrote: »
    Surely the Gardaí will be interested if someone is refusing to hand over insurance details after an accident?

Happened my mum before. Garda said that he couldn't give the details directly, but if we wanted to put in a complaint they would follow up with an investigation and we'd probably get them at the end.

You could get the details from the disk, but it sounds like he would deny involvement. Getting the Gardaí involved might be the only course of action if not suing MIBI.

He isn't refusing . The trird friend didn't look for it. He only got his name and address

You can't get compensation from the MIBI for property damage unless you can prove the person who did it was uninsured
    Exactly, so the Gardaí are the only course of action.

He isn't refusing . The trird friend didn't look for it. He only got his name and address
    Wait so he hasn't been asked for his insurance details? Not once even when solicitors were involved??

I don't know about the solicitor. I am not involved in that part.

Advertisement