Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FMP search function unreliable?

Options
  • 05-03-2016 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭

Have been very busy for the last few days utilizing the free access on Findmypast (FMP) and Ancestry. Just noticed this morning that the search function on FMP seems unreliable. Specifically, newspaper search results seem to depend critically on the word order used in the search. That is awful. Can anyone else confirm this "feature"?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Newspaper searches are tricky because they rely on OCR. I've haven't had any particular problems with the FMP ones. Are you searching the British Newspaper archive section or the Irish ones - I think they were done by different companies.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭The Chieftain

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Newspaper searches are tricky because they rely on OCR. I've haven't had any particular problems with the FMP ones. Are you searching the British Newspaper archive section or the Irish ones - I think they were done by different companies.

I was searching the Irish newspaper section. Just for illustrative purposes, what I found was that something like searches for
    "1798 Wexford," and "Wexford 1798" gave different results. This suggests the search terms are not fully independent (not the actual search I used).

Advertisement