Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blanchardstown to Coolock at night?

Options
  • 05-03-2016 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hey all,

I work in Ballycoolin Business Park out in Blanchardstown, and I'm now switching to working evening/night shifts for a good few weeks, working until 1am. I can't drive, and I live in Coolock - usually I'd get the 17A to and from work, but that's not an option coming home now sadly.

I have been told by friends that employers have to legally provide a means of transport home after public transportation stops - however I can't find any actual information about this? Is this actually a thing or just something people say?

So I'm wondering if anybody may have some sort of genius transport solution that doesn't cause me to spend >€30 a night on a taxi? I get the feeling there is no other solution, but on the off chance I was hoping someone might have some crazy solution that saves money somewhere. Had it been later in the night I'd probably wait around in work until the first bus.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Did they move you to the later shifts or was it your choice? and did you tell them that you had no way of getting home?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,253 ✭✭✭✭Victor

mckinnon94 wrote: »
    I have been told by friends that employers have to legally provide a means of transport home after public transportation stops - however I can't find any actual information about this? Is this actually a thing or just something people say?
    I'm not aware of any legal obligation, but it is good practice.

Are there people you could share with?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Hey all,

I work in Ballycoolin Business Park out in Blanchardstown, and I'm now switching to working evening/night shifts for a good few weeks, working until 1am. I can't drive, and I live in Coolock - usually I'd get the 17A to and from work, but that's not an option coming home now sadly.

So I'm wondering if anybody may have some sort of genius transport solution that doesn't cause me to spend >€30 a night on a taxi? I get the feeling there is no other solution, but on the off chance I was hoping someone might have some crazy solution that saves money somewhere. Had it been later in the night I'd probably wait around in work until the first bus.

Thanks.

No such obligation exists. Some employers lay on taxi's or a minibus, or whatever, if they think they'll be stuck for workers if they don't. But they are under no legal obligation to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mckinnon94

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Did they move you to the later shifts or was it your choice? and did you tell them that you had no way of getting home?

They only asked, but since the line of people before me said no I reluctantly agreed. It was me who made the decision in the end.
    Victor wrote: »
    I'm not aware of any legal obligation, but it is good practice.

Are there people you could share with?

Didn't think of that. Haven't ever met anyone on the nightshift before, so I have no idea. Hopefully there's someone I can find to share, otherwise I guess I'll be bringing my computer and sitting in our canteen for 5 hours until first busses come along.

There are a fair few of us moving to the nightshifts, and transport was an issue I relayed to them which they said they'd look at getting a bus for, but no guarantee - they have a private bus service to bring people in, and home, during rush hour during the day so here's hoping.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭edber2011

Ah shur you get stabbed and mugged on the way home and your employer will give you a bunch of flowers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I used to do a shift years back that finished at 1am and the employer would provide a taxi home. Not sure if it is in legislation though.

OP consider getting a bicycle, you'd cover that distance in about 30 minutes or so

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mckinnon94

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I used to do a shift years back that finished at 1am and the employer would provide a taxi home. Not sure if it is in legislation though.

OP consider getting a bicycle, you'd cover that distance in about 30 minutes or so

I've been considering that a lot actually...since from Donnycarney church to Blanch it's basically a straight line, mostly flat ground from what I can tell. Problem being, I'm quite overweight, not entirely unfit as I used to play sports and weightlift, but I've been mostly sedentary for a year and a half since starting this job, so the thought of 28km a day of cycling is a bit of a terrifying thought but I guess I'd only be rushing to get to work, could be quite leisurely coming home. And I'd say, no matter how unfit I am, there's no way I can do the journey any slower than the 17A that seemingly goes all around the world. The health benefits are no doubt worth the few weeks of torture getting used to the trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Ask your team lead /manager. Chances are they will know or be able to tell you who does know.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭kaykay27

Hey all,

Thanks.

Hiya

I worked in PayPal before and when they had the night shift before it was the team mates responsibility to make their own way home as essentially it was their choice to move onto that shift

Most of the people that move to night shift ended up moving back to days as they found it difficult to sustain those hours...if it is PayPal you work for make sure that option is still in place just in case the night shift doesn't work out

Ebay has a bus for their late shift from their office into town but that is at 11pm

Advertisement