Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2010\2011 hatchback

Options
  • 05-03-2016 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48,172 ✭✭✭✭

back again !
    aftera good bit of research we are more confused !
    wife currently has 2000 petrol ford focus and is changing in next few months
    travels 70 k or so a day with 50 k on motorway
    budgets is 10 k 11k at a push
    main things are reliability and fuel costs

we have gone over and back debating diesel or not as she would like the weekly saving on fuel but we are worried about potentially high repair costs !
    so we settled on a petrol BUT they are very very scarce in post 2008 hatchbacks so...........
    petrol Honda civic........any known issues in 1.4 or 1.8 ?
    i30 - like it as well but new model only came out 2011 so not many knocking around that we can afford - again any issues with petrol or diesel models?

finally .......we didn't even consider a golf as we thought they were mad dear BUT a quick check on carzone shows a fair few 2011\2010 in around the price
    all seem to be 1.6 diesel . not sure on the specs though - any known issues ?

sorry for the long post but we need to get a good 10 years out of it !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The petrol civics are as near faultless as you can get these only thing is the 1.4 is gutless and the civic is holding up very strong money second hand. I have my 1.8 4 years and it honestly hasn't given a days trouble and has cost me nothing in things like suspension parts, bushings etc, the only things I've done outside servicing are brake discs and pads and a battery. That's with 85,000km done since I got it.
    They're economical for a petrol, I average mid 40s but they can do up to mid 50s if you absolutely drive like a nun and don't go over 80kmph

Ref the i30, I'd sooner get a face lifted older model than try and scrape a new model, the newer ones are mainly 1.4 diesel as opposed to the 1.6 diesel on the old model. The diesels in these are very robust, but there is a 109bhp 1.4 petrol option if you're thinking that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Can you get a kia ceed?

Was driving the missus 1.4 tonight and found it quite nippy

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭maroondog

Id be thinking of a diesel Golf if your looking for hassle free motoring. Had a Golf TDI myself for 5/6 years and never a days bother, near bullet proof the VW diesel engines. Found that it was very good on the juice. Had a 1.9 TDI myself and very good on motorway, not sure if 1.6 would be as good but probably not far off. Some people say Golfs are expensive but in the long run they arent, as they are trouble free. And if and when ya go to sell it on, a Golf resells very easily. Sold my one on very easily (1st person that drove bought it) so if you dont like its not hard to move it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,172 ✭✭✭✭km79

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Can you get a kia ceed?

Was driving the missus 1.4 tonight and found it quite nippy

This has been mentioned alright but it's proving a hard sell to this missus !

maroondog wrote: »
    Id be thinking of a diesel Golf if your looking for hassle free motoring. Had a Golf TDI myself for 5/6 years and never a days bother, near bullet proof the VW diesel engines. Found that it was very good on the juice. Had a 1.9 TDI myself and very good on motorway, not sure if 1.6 would be as good but probably not far off. Some people say Golfs are expensive but in the long run they arent, as they are trouble free. And if and when ya go to sell it on, a Golf resells very easily. Sold my one on very easily (1st person that drove bought it) so if you dont like its not hard to move it on.

This is the hot favorite at the moment no doubt !seems to be a good few to choose from as well which helps .
    Any issues when buying second hand I need to know ? Main worry is we have never owned a diesel and buying one that has not been looked after

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭maroondog

km79 wrote: »
    This is the hot favorite at the moment no doubt !seems to be a good few to choose from as well which helps .
    Any issues when buying second hand I need to know ? Main worry is we have never owned a diesel and buying one that has not been looked after

Getting one with reasonable mileage is the thing and also having a proper service history. Some people may buy diesel VWs to do higher mileage and no bother servicing them all that regular. But decent Golf's can be found, there very popular car so be sure to get one with full service history, properly stamped every 10K miles.

Buying one down the country you'd tend to find they are less well looked after and higher miles and poorer roads generally. I know theres certain VW garages i wouldnt bother goin to cos all you'll see is VW's with sky high mileage that have had a hard life. Diesel cars outsell Petrol ones these days and really i dont see why you'd be overly concerned buying a diesel, there a big difference in the MPG you'll see.

maroondog wrote: »
    Getting one with reasonable mileage is the thing and also having a proper service history. Some people may buy diesel VWs to do higher mileage and no bother servicing them all that regular. But decent Golf's can be found, there very popular car so be sure to get one with full service history, properly stamped every 10K miles.

Buying one down the country you'd tend to find they are less well looked after and higher miles and poorer roads generally. I know theres certain VW garages i wouldnt bother goin to cos all you'll see is VW's with sky high mileage that have had a hard life. Diesel cars outsell Petrol ones these days and really i dont see why you'd be overly concerned buying a diesel, there a big difference in the MPG you'll see.

yeah I've already noticed the high mileage on a lot of them!
    when does timing belt need changing if they have one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭.red.

My wife has the 1.4 civic but the 07-11 model. Its a lovely car, really comfy and a lot more space than youd think. Im not mad about the silver trim inside but she loves it. Its got about 150km on it i think and was just serviced by an ex honda mechanic and he found nothing wrong with it. It just got the usual like oil change, wipers etc. Itll happily fly along at 120kms on the motorway in 6th but its noticeably lacking in a little power getting upto speed. She gets about 42/43mpg out of it with mostly dual carriageway driving of 100/120kph.
    Their a great car, not the cheapest to buy but very good value for money.

.red. wrote: »
    My wife has the 1.4 civic but the 07-11 model. Its a lovely car, really comfy and a lot more space than youd think. Im not mad about the silver trim inside but she loves it. Its got about 150km on it i think and was just serviced by an ex honda mechanic and he found nothing wrong with it. It just got the usual like oil change, wipers etc. Itll happily fly along at 120kms on the motorway in 6th but its noticeably lacking in a little power getting upto speed. She gets about 42/43mpg out of it with mostly dual carriageway driving of 100/120kph.
    Their a great car, not the cheapest to buy but very good value for money.

it's been narrowed down to the golf or the civic now for sure
    seems to be more golf's to choose from though

I don't really understand the mpg
    how can I work out what here current car is getting ?

Fill the tank, drive it for a few days, refill the tank. Compare the miles done to fuel used. There are a good few online calculctors out there.
    I would guess she's getting somewhere around 35-40mpg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭.red.

This is the one i use,
    http://www.mpg-calculator.co.uk/
    Dunno how accurate it is tho but its a handy guide.
    I had a saloon civic as my last car, the paint was pretty beat up, all the lacquer was peeling but other than that it was mechanically sound. I had it 7/8 years and put up about 130/140,000 miles. I put new bushings into it and i think a cv joint went. Other than that the only money i spent was servicing and tyres which for a 15 year old car with 220miles was pretty good going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Do not buy 1.4 Civic or Golf, they are painfully slow.

Right I think we have settled on the golf !
    So few questions !
    For a 2010 1.6 tdi model is there a timing belt that needs doing at a certain interval ?
    What would be average mileage that would be OK to buy at ?
    What are the various specs called? Would like to buy a higher one than base spec if a budget of 11k allows
    Many Thanks

So few questions !
    For a 2010 1.6 tdi model is there a timing belt that needs doing at a certain interval ?
    What are the various specs called? Would like to buy a higher one than base spec if a budget of 11k allows
    Many Thanks
    Would appreciate a little more feedback
    Been very helpful so far

They did a 110bhp 2.0 at the start of the mk6 golf. They sold them before the 1.6 engine came on stream, I would much prefer one of these to the 1.6, you'll see a good few of them for sale.
    Spec levels would be trendline, bluemotion, comfortline, highline, In that order.
    You'd expect a diesel car to be doing at least 15000 to 20000 per year so 100kkm wouldn't be outrageous.
    Just beware the low mileage, high spec, too good to be true examples.

Here is the standard equipment for each model.
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/74663/299364.pdf

colm_mcm wrote: »
    They did a 110bhp 2.0 at the start of the mk6 golf. They sold them before the 1.6 engine came on stream, I would much prefer one of these to the 1.6, you'll see a good few of them for sale.
    Spec levels would be trendline, bluemotion, comfortline, highline, In that order.
    You'd expect a diesel car to be doing at least 15000 to 20000 per year so 100kkm wouldn't be outrageous.
    Just beware the low mileage, high spec, too good to be true examples.

Here is the standard equipment for each model.
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/74663/299364.pdf
    Thanks
    1.6 is plenty for the missus :D
    Was thinking around 100/120 k alright

Before you get a Golf

Giulietta

Thanks
    1.6 is plenty for the missus :D
    Was thinking around 100/120 k alright

The engine size isn't that much of a factor in real life. the 2.0 still has "de chape tax" - Don't rule one out as they're still very economical and plentiful in early mk6s. They're also nicer to drive.

The engine size isn't that much of a factor in real life. the 2.0 still has "de chape tax" - Don't rule one out as they're still very economical and plentiful in early mk6s. They're also nicer to drive.

Would affect insurance though or am I wrong on that

i really doubt it would unless your mrs is very young or on I plates.

• Advertisement

i really doubt it would unless your mrs is very young or on I plates.

No to both :D
    Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

Down with hatchbacks, get an Octavia, best bang for buck on that budget!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Or be a little different.

A Skoda Yeti.

Great little hatchbacks.... like a golf, but a bit better.

luketitz wrote: »
    Down with hatchbacks, get an Octavia, best bang for buck on that budget!

Absolutely no chance I'm afraid
    I was told a Corolla saloon was a no go as it was too big !

Corolla is big on the outside and small on the inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

Yeti not a bad shout as per above then, if you can banish the thoughts of abominable snowman similes!

So few questions !
    Many Thanks

http://m.galway.monaghans.ie/viewanad.php?ad_id=1393309&r=
    Have my eye on this ? Will be paying cash so expect to pay 10500 max ?
    Does it look ok

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

http://m.galway.monaghans.ie/viewanad.php?ad_id=1393309&r=
    Have my eye on this ? Will be paying cash so expect to pay 10500 max ?
    Does it look ok

That is a cash price...

grogi wrote: »
    That is a cash price...

I understand that is the asking price but it's not the price it will be sold for
    or what I'd pay for it!

• Advertisement

Car was sold last week :(
    Can I ask again before I go around dealers
    What interval is timing belt/chain to be replaced in the 1.6L diesel 2010/2011 golf ?

Advertisement