Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coming home: where to live?

Options
  • 05-03-2016 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

I'm planning to come home in next 12 months after almost 10 years abroad, and am in two minds as to where to live: Clare (family and friends) or Dublin (jobs). As an engineer who had worked in multinational firms all career, I expect to find it difficult to get a job in the West (can commute to Galway or Limerick). However, one the main reasons to come home is to be able to help out the parents, would be difficult from Dublin, realistically would only get home a couple of times per month.
    I have 2 kids and wonder whether the Dublin schools would be better- I want to give them best chance in life.
    My wife is not Irish, so doesn't have a strong preference, but reckons the weather and quality of life (choice of things to do) is better in Dublin.
    I am reluctant to get saddled with a huge mortgage in Dublin, would be able to buy a nice house in Clare without too much of a stretch. Then again, salary would likely be considerably higher in Dublin.
    I also have the feeling that being in Dublin, where I know practically nobody, will be like being abroad. In the end of the day, it's your relationships with others that counts, right?

Any thoughts? Had anybody else gone through this decision and can share experience, good or bad?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,133 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think you know yourself. Your heart and reason for coming home says Clare.
    You could easily work and live at any location which is linked by daily flights to Shannon more easily than actually living in Dublin. Just to compare.
    Driving down and back up to Dublin every second weekend isn't much fun and you won't keep it up. Kids, sports, training etc.

The education system, national and secondary, is excellent in all rural areas. Besides you won't have to pay fees.

Clare is a lovely place. Not from there, but like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Kalimah

What's your engineering speciality?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭minnow

Kalimah wrote: »
    What's your engineering speciality?

Project management for industrial construction (chemicals/refining etc). Originally civil engineer, but never worked at it.

I know I could get a job on projects around the country easy enough, but don't want to get into the "weekend dad" routine.

Cork seems your best bet on chemical plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Has your wife visited Ireland much? I think she has an important part to play in this because she could easily grow to resent the place.

Is she the adaptable type? Does she get bored easily?

My husband isn't Irish either and we've always planned on moving to Dublin (moving in less than a month from now!). But the other night he throws out the idea that maybe we should move elsewhere. I know him well at this stage and know that if he is anywhere but Dublin, he'll be bored out of his brain and it will just result in us moving again anyway.

I'm from Donegal myself and lived in Dublin for 5 years so know all too well the difference in opportunities for almost everything. He thinks the outdoors activities would be great but I know in my heart that that wouldn't keep him entertained for the next 20+ years.

You know your wife best, do you think she would be happy living in Clare? Would there be an opportunity for her to make friends of her own nationality? Would she be able to get everything that she is used to?

If she's not happy then that will put a huge strain on your immediate family (you both and the kids). So I think in this situation, considering her feelings is extremely important.

• Advertisement

Has your wife visited Ireland much? I think she has an important part to play in this because she could easily grow to resent the place.
    Is she the adaptable type? Does she get bored easily?

Great point, I suppose I glossed over that aspect. My wife lived in Clare for 3 years and we visit a couple of times per year. She has more (Irish) friends there than I do as a native, which is down to her nature. So she would move to a ready made circle of friends with great advice on schools, things to do, etc. She is very adaptable, but also restless (has always moved frequently for work).

While I think she will be happiest in Clare, I think the attraction of the big city, plus a perception that schools are better in Dublin interests her. I should also mention the impact of the weather; she struggles with the constant rain, and knows that the East coast is drier.

From your post, it sounds like you have opted for Dublin over Donegal for job reasons. Would love to hear how that goes for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Natonstan

Hey Minnow, just wanted to let you know i'll be following along with your story, I'm married to an American myself, I've been living over here for the past few years but I want to be home in Ireland more than anything so my wife agreed that we'll move over in a few years. It would be great to hear how you guys get on moving back home.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I suppose another factor is how much support do your parents need? If they're at the stage where a few visits a month would be helpful then maybe you could do Dublin for a few years before going to Clare?

It's a really tough decision. Especially with kids, it limits flexibility. I was going to suggest that if you wanted to try Clare for a year and it didnt work you could always move but that's tough too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

minnow wrote: »
    Project management for industrial construction (chemicals/refining etc). Originally civil engineer, but never worked at it.

I know I could get a job on projects around the country easy enough, but don't want to get into the "weekend dad" routine.

I would have thought Clare is a pretty decent bet for that sort of work. Cork, Limerick and Galway would have more construction in that area then Dublin. Might be worth looking at getting into the renewables energy stuff too. Wind and that mightn't be too far from your comfort zone and would have good opportunities along the West coast.

Parker, mentioning renewables, what is going to kick off over the next few years is solar. Mainly south of a line from Dublin to Galway.
    Just info, not to get sidetracked.

• Advertisement

I suppose another factor is how much support do your parents need? If they're at the stage where a few visits a month would be helpful then maybe you could do Dublin for a few years before going to Clare?

I think I really need to be there twice a month and it will only increase over next years. Probably better to bite the bullet now and move to Clare - otherwise there will likely be an unplanned move required sometime in coming years.

Water John wrote: »
    Parker, mentioning renewables, what is going to kick off over the next few years is solar. Mainly south of a line from Dublin to Galway.
    Just info, not to get sidetracked.

Interesting to hear this. Are there any solar projects in the pipeline?

Lots. Mainly sub 5Mw using about 25 acres.
    Amarenco have submitted plannings for 7 in Cork County alone.
    We have a similar solar output to places in Germany.
    If you look up solar map of Europe, the south of Ireland and especially the southwest is the best location for solar output.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

The "things to do" argument very much depends on what exactly she wants to do, but for all that there's "more" to do in a city (e.g. Dublin) the logisitical aspect of doing it can make many of the activities inaccessible. When I'm back in Dublin, I regularly find myself stranded in D14 because there's no bus available to take me out of the county, or no lift available to take me into the city centre. Even when I look after my nieces and nephew and have the use of a car, we either end up walking because it's quicker than getting through traffic, or we end up sitting in traffic (or going round in circles looking for somewhere to park). In either case, there isn't time in the day to do all the activities that are available.

This matches exactly the situation "at home" in France, where I live in the country, but I can be in four decent-sized towns within 15-20 minutes, or more than a dozen Irish-Limerick-sized towns within about an hour. I've got family in Clare, and know that as long as you're not trapped on the Loop Head peninsula, and you've a car at your disposal, you've got about a quarter of the country within easy reach, which is more than you'd have living in Dublin.

Thanks for all the advice. It looks like the work situation will force me to come home in the summer, so have decided to stick with the Clare option and have applied to schools for my kids. I am pretty sure it is the right decision and feel relieved already to be coming home to family and friends.

Best wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

minnow wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice. It looks like the work situation will force me to come home in the summer, so have decided to stick with the Clare option and have applied to schools for my kids. I am pretty sure it is the right decision and feel relieved already to be coming home to family and friends.
    Good luck man. When I come home, I am going straight down the country. I've come back and settled in Dublin for a few years, but like you guessed yourself, you'd feel like a stranger living in some random Dublin neighbourhood. Clare is an unreal place to live, and you're privileged to have the option. I hope yourself, the mrs & kids will be happy there.

Advertisement