Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car auction buying services

Options
  • 05-03-2016 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Looking to buy a car at auction to bring back to ROI and vrt. Found a place in Baldoyle that will bid online and arrange for the transport of car back and vrt etc. There are similar places in the UK that will do same service minus the vrt filing.

Anyone had any experiences - good bad or indifferent with using these services.

With the private buyers fees, ferry service etc seemsa bit of a non brainer unless I am missing something...

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

It's very easy to do it all yourself . I've bought a few non-runners from UK auctions without seeing them and got them home on transporters.

What website are you looking at?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 In focus

airboos wrote: »
    Looking to buy a car at auction to bring back to ROI and vrt. Found a place in Baldoyle that will bid online and arrange for the transport of car back and vrt etc. There are similar places in the UK that will do same service minus the vrt filing.

Anyone had any experiences - good bad or indifferent with using these services.

With the private buyers fees, ferry service etc seemsa bit of a non brainer unless I am missing something...

Thanks in advance.

I was in contact with them last year, still thinking about changing, you do need to read through the website to get your head around the whole thing, one thing I noted is the need for a reserve - some leeway as its an auction. It seems to depend on the car you are after. Cars are graded and it seems better grades go for higher auction prices

Nice reports on mechanics and condition though, and full MOT history is available on all the cars, I guess i just have to get my head around buying without seeing!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 airboos

Thanks for that. In the end they didn't return calls or emails in time for the auction so I went with a guy in the UK. Car came in under 700GBP below CAP clean price. They seem to want you to put in a massive reserve which I feel is unnecessary. If you think that the CAP price is an average taken over a huge population of specific makes/models/years etc sold in the UK and you are putting a reserve of over 1-2k as they advise in some instances then that is way over the top in my opinion and makes no mathematical sense whatsoever. It just seems to me that its making it a certainty for the auction buyer to ensure they get their fee for very little work (sitting online and bidding on a single car which you will no doubt win given the high max bid you are fixing) rather than ensuring a good deal for you and accepting that it might take a few bids to ensure a win. It also keeps their "success stats" high. The outfits in the UK that I looked into are more than happy for you to only bid up to the CAP clean price, buyers fees will go on top. These were all disclosed in advance for both BCA and Manheim. They will also arrange transport to get the car back if needed. There are online trade websites where transport companies can bid for the work which will save you some money and is all part of the service. That just leaves the VRT to be sorted.

Thanks for that. In the end they didn't return calls or emails in time for the auction so I went with a guy in the UK. Car came in under 700GBP below CAP clean price. They seem to want you to put in a massive reserve which I feel is unnecessary. If you think that the CAP price is an average taken over a huge population of specific makes/models/years etc sold in the UK and you are putting a reserve of over 1-2k as they advise in some instances then that is way over the top in my opinion and makes no mathematical sense whatsoever. It just seems to me that its making it a certainty for the auction buyer to ensure they get their fee for very little work (sitting online and bidding on a single car which you will no doubt win given the high max bid you are fixing) rather than ensuring a good deal for you and accepting that it might take a few bids to ensure a win. It also keeps their "success stats" high. The outfits in the UK that I looked into are more than happy for you to only bid up to the CAP clean price, buyers fees will go on top. These were all disclosed in advance for both BCA and Manheim. They will also arrange transport to get the car back if needed. There are online trade websites where transport companies can bid for the work which will save you some money and is all part of the service. That just leaves the VRT to be sorted.

it seems like you know alot more about that you let on! More than I do

To be honest I wouldn't work for nothing and fair is fair - Grade 1 is going to be more money than grade 4 - I wouldn't want to waste my time either. But hey you found you own solution so good for you

• Registered Users Posts: 11 airboos

Nothing that I didn't find out from spending a couple of days on the www watching youtube videos and the like. I brought at auction in person about 8 years ago so knew the roughly how the process works but most trades are probably done online these days. Its not hard really. Just set your budget.

• Advertisement

Hey airboos, i am still thinking about changing my own car and might be good to know what other guys I could use to get into the UK market - could you pm me the links to the guys you used? I don't think you can link anything here. Always good to have options

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Hey, I found the same website about company, looks good to me but when I ran the numbers it didn't look like I was saving a whole pile on the car. Not looking for anything fancy, need to get Ford Smax. Who did you use in the UK?

I only found the other website last night but it is interesting, I was going to buy from cargiant or something liek that to remove the risk but afer checking into it there seems to be loads of people having to go back loads of times to cargiant to get bits fixed

Nothing that I didn't find out from spending a couple of days on the www watching youtube videos and the like. I brought at auction in person about 8 years ago so knew the roughly how the process works but most trades are probably done online these days. Its not hard really. Just set your budget.

Just looked into the savings on the Baldoyle site and in fairness there are big savings on anything here and I noticed that while you might find one or two cars on the internet in the UK at similar prices the Baldoyle site has alot more options at the lower price - I guess its because they are all at the CAP price?

Looked for others in the UK that do the same on line and that Baldoyle site is the only one i can see....and it has around 20,000 cars to pick from...must of cost a few quid to get that site working!

Advertisement