Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Used catalytic converter

Options
  • 05-03-2016 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

Is buying a used catalytic converter a false economy or too much of a risk?

Obviously the life expectancy should be longer with a new unit but the cost is much higher than buying a 2nd hand unit.

Anyone any experience in buying a used cat? How did it work out for you, as there's no way to test if it's a working unit until in operation. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

A chap I work with had his Merc C180 fail its NCT on emissions due to a dead cat. He was told by his mechanic to get a decent second hand one as pattern or universal cats don't work too well on his particular model of car.

To answer your question , I suppose its down to issues like this and the cost of new versus second hand that would swing it for me. I have fitted a known good second hand cat to a punto before and it was fine then and is still so today - several years later!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,532 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

It's a gamble IMO - you never know what you get - it can indeed be a very decent, nearly new one, it can be nearly dead one as well.

New ones can be obtained for as little as 45 pounds off ebay, so if I was you, I'd rather go that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

There's an awful lot of crap out there in the line of spurious cats. A lot of them appear to be designed to last 12 months at the outside. In my experience there is something to be said for a good OE unit from a breaker. Try Dempsey's Dismantlers in Ballina.

Advertisement