Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What kind of a license do you need to drive a motorhome

Options
  • 05-03-2016 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

I have a full Irish license. Do you need to have something modified on it to be able to drive a motorhome. Would appreciate any information. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

regi3457 wrote: »
    I have a full Irish license. Do you need to have something modified on it to be able to drive a motorhome. Would appreciate any information. thanks

Depends on size and weight.

Transit or ducato or similar car licence is fine.

If thinking bigger you need a c licence (rigid truck)

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭regi3457

Oh ok I almost misunderstood. So for a Transit or ducato a normal license is fine but for something bigger you need a C license.

How much bigger we talking here?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You can also drive on a C1, but finding driving schools with suitable vehicles can be difficult.

Think the cut off is 3500kg.

Most campers I see around Ireland would be fine only when you move up to the U.S style big trucks then you would need a different to the B licence also if you planned on towing a trailor you need to do BE test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

I wonder if a lot of people are aware of the requirements for this. Your irish B licence covers you up to 3.500kg this has to include the full weight with the motor home packed and passengers.
    I would guess that most 6 births would come very close to the limit if not above

To drive anything over the 3.5ton and up to 7.5 ton you will need a C licence. worth keeping in mind when considering the size of van you may have

• Advertisement

I wonder if a lot of people are aware of the requirements for this. Your irish B licence covers you up to 3.500kg this has to include the full weight with the motor home packed and passengers.
    I would guess that most 6 births would come very close to the limit if not above

To drive anything over the 3.5ton and up to 7.5 ton you will need a C licence. worth keeping in mind when considering the size of van you may have

It seems to be years ago ah sure ya be grand was the norm them days are gone.

Very strict rules these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

It seems to be years ago ah sure ya be grand was the norm them days are gone.

Very strict rules these days.

Strict rules in theory I certainly wouldn't chance driving on the continent.

I've never seen a weight plate checked here except farmers towing cattle with cars. Guy in the traffic corps admitted to me he was never 100% sure regarding weights, seats, seatbelts in camper vans a lot of campers have multiple plates under the bonnet, most of the registration certs are incomplete.

My dad went to look at a 5 berth in Fermoy, 3250kg chassis plate, 3750kg manufacturers plate riveted on next to it. The owner wasn't even aware had been driving it for 5 years like that, DOE never queried.

Advertisement