Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

can i get some opinions on this bmw 3 series

Options
  • 04-03-2016 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭

hi all,

im close to pulling the trigger on this one but id love to hear some peoples opinions on it. ill be bringing my cousin whos a mechanic to inspect it.

the only things i dont like about it are that the garage selling it seems relatively new (2 years old?) and the car has 3 previous owners

apart from that its a lovely looking car with a full service history thats in my price range

http://www.chartonmotorcompany.ie/viewanad.php?ad_id=1449416&r= 77

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

This garage has come up before, apparently they used to be called AS cars, and then DS cars. There is history.

Speaking of history, the mileage gaps between services seem to be on the high side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭emeldc

Are there any actual receipts to go with the stamped service book. IMO anyone who cares enough to make sure the book gets a stamp will also hang on to all the paper work. I would prefer to see an occasional maindealer stamp in there to verify the mileage.

In fairness though it looks like a nice car.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭macjohn

evosteo wrote: »
    hi all,

im close to pulling the trigger on this one but id love to hear some peoples opinions on it. ill be bringing my cousin whos a mechanic to inspect it.

the only things i dont like about it are that the garage selling it seems relatively new (2 years old?) and the car has 3 previous owners

apart from that its a lovely looking car with a full service history thats in my price range

http://www.chartonmotorcompany.ie/viewanad.php?ad_id=1449416&r= 77

cheers

Its the introductory level es spec which is very low.
    Manual air con.
    No MFSW
    The spolier is aftermarket
    The alloys are most likely after market so check the quality of them.

For 6k is prob a grand car but would be been a very intro level bmw at the time.

This is not to put you off the car but if you get into bmws this one doesn't cut it.

That said get your mechanic friend to check it out and if its ok great driving machine for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

would some garages keeps records of cars they have serviced??

wonder would it be worth while making a call or two

macjohn wrote: »
    Its the introductory level es spec which is very low.
    Manual air con.
    No MFSW
    The spolier is aftermarket
    The alloys are most likely after market so check the quality of them.

For 6k is prob a grand car but would be been a very intro level bmw at the time.

This is not to put you off the car but if you get into bmws this one doesn't cut it.

That said get your mechanic friend to check it out and if its ok great driving machine for the money.

thanks i never noticed that, mainly been looking at low millage (-100k miles) , no more than 2 (3max) previous owners, service history and budget between 5k-6.5k.

the pictures of this one actually caught my eye. of the couple i short listed this is the one i keep looking back to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭macjohn

thanks i never noticed that, mainly been looking at low millage (-100k miles) , no more than 2 (3max) previous owners, service history and budget between 5k-6.5k.

the pictures of this one actually caught my eye. of the couple i short listed this is the one i keep looking back to

At 06 wouldn't worry about more than three owners - my 10 reg was an ex demo reg then then next owner basically used it as 2nd car to his wife's x5 and it spent most of its time sitting in a carpark at the airport! So no point in having hard rules on these things.

Liking the look of the car is a lot.

Remember though you will be on the inside so that has to work for you too.

have the mechanic have a good look at those alloys, in 08/09 spurious alloys with tyres were doing the rounds at around €800 new!! Had them on an e46 and they cracked every time they saw a pothole in the area.

The manual air con on that car is only ok to be honest - its a long way back from the climate control.
    How long do you intend keeping the car - a bmw enthusiast will never buy that car from you, but that is not the be all and end all.

As I say I am not detracting from your choice of car - serious motoring for the money, just trying to make sure you are going in with eyes open.
    Again mechanically if it checks out would be good buy.

Do a google and when that model came out Richard Hammond gave it a seriously positive review - again subjective but you get the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

thats a pretty nice car, you can get the mfsw retrofitted. Would you consider a 6 cylidner engine or a 5 series? they are much better value for money..

its actually gonna be for the other half, shes been driving a mitsu colt the last 10+years and it just recently gave up the ghost. great car.

shes been looking at a hyundai i30 but iv my eye on a 3 series for her as a present for her 30th. far superior looking car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭emeldc

its actually gonna be for the other half, shes been driving a mitsu colt the last 10+years and it just recently gave up the ghost. great car.

shes been looking at a hyundai i30 but iv my eye on a 3 series for her as a present for her 30th. far superior looking car.

G'wan, stop talking sh1t, you want it for yourself, otherwise you would buy her what she wants :D

Seems like it dosnt it ha. She knows nothing about cars and her friend put the idea into her head. Iv a work van for private use and a honda accord i use every now and then. But sure bmw are far superior to hyundai are they not?

72fzfy9.png

• Advertisement
Advertisement