Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Post 2008 petrol

Options
  • 04-03-2016 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭

Looking through done deal this evening and came across a 1.6 petrol 2009 for about 5 grand but when I checked the tax it was 570 per year.

Does that make them unsaleable? Hard to justify that every year,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Really depends on the driving you do, if short trips and low mileage a diesel will have trouble with dpf, will cost a few grand more to buy and have higher service costs so it may well work out cheaper in the long run buying the petrol.

I just bought a 08 mondeo 1.6 petrol for my wife because she needed a bigger car but only does about 3k per year.

People went mad buying diesel cars when the road tax changes came in thinking they were saving money but the reality is unless they were doing the mileage to justify having a diesel they weren't saving anything at all

• Registered Users Posts: 81,385 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Best you can possibly do is €280 on a simialar sized diesel so for an extra 300 or less than €1 a day you get a nice cheap petrol car. You could spend €25k and get a car for the chaaaaaaaaaaaape tax, it will pay for itself after 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

We are currently looking for a 10/11 petrol hatchback
    Ideally a 1.6 maybe a focus
    They are VERY hard to get seemingly cos everyone went diesel mad !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

a 1.6 on the old cc system was only marginally more, if you are spending a few thousand extra to save a few euro on tax per year, dont bother unless you want a newer car...

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

ford went diesel mad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Will not be going diesel. My point was that 1.6 under the old system was 514 while 1.4 was 385 think those figures are correct,

Any one able to tell me what a 1.4 petrol is on new system?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

New motor tax rates depend on the car's co2 emissions, not engine size. Some were more expensive while others were cheaper.

Far as I know the 1.4 is €570 on new system,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

colm_mcm wrote: »
    ford went diesel mad.

Who did not? Especially if you want better spec or auto... Putting usually ridiculously priced hybrids aside.

From popular brands I think only Skoda and VW would offer the petrols (Seat will not) - but I simply ignore VAG.
    With BMW/Mercedes you can order whatever you want, Volvo weirdly has very narrow engine selection...

From the top of my head, VW, skoda, Toyota, Hyundai, Kia continued to offer decent petrol engine options in that class.
    Now on one hand, you can't blame them for only stocking what they know they'll sell, but a volume manufacturer like ford has a lot of potential customers that don't want/need diesel, I suppose it was because they hadn't any competitive petrol engines at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Finding any used post 2008 petrol car these days, if you're looking for specific models, is like finding a needle in a haystack. For certain makes/models there are exactly zero available as the manufacturers simply aren't importing them even when several petrol variants are available in the UK.

Advertisement