Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

€35k to play with - what do ya buy?

Options
  • 04-03-2016 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭

The aul lad is gonna trade in his 2013 Avensis and I'm trying to persuade him to not buy something mundane and boring again as he's always done that and deserves to treat himself to a nice car.

Budget is €35k, give or take.
    Main needs are:
    • "A bit of power", as he likes a 2L engine
    • Comfort
    • 5 seats & 5 doors (though it's primarily just him and my mum in it)
    • Diesel
    • Not RWD (as they live in the country and snow would scupper him with a RWD
    • Preferably 2013 or newer. 2012 might do in a very special case
    • Reasonable mileage (prob less than 50k or 60k)

He's admitted he likes the BMW 5 Series but the RWD puts him off, and also seems to like the Audi A6.

What do you guys recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

RX450h?

Granted it's not diesel, but wouldn't be bad on juice being a hybrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

A brand new Mazda 6 is a nice place to be. You could nearly get a Platinum top spec 2.2 for that, nice step up from an Avensis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Why no RWD? Surely when your father learned to drive everything was RWD and probably on remolds. Once proper tyres are under the car, RWD will go anywhere a FWD will go.

As for options, I'd be thinking of an auto SUV/pretend SUV mainly for getting in and out of

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

even a current model 2.0 tdi passat with a bit of spec would be a noticibly nicer car than the avensis.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

A Ford Mondeo or a Skoda Superb well worth checking out both lovely cars. The Mazda 6 as said above is also lovely.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

AMKC wrote: »
    A Ford Mondeo or a Skoda Superb well worth checking out both lovely cars. The Mazda 6 as said above is also lovely.

These aren't mundane?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

35k would get a top spec insignia, a fine looking car and lovely interior. Depreciation would be the killer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭kingofburt

Have you checked out Volvo's range yet? The S/V60 match every request on your list and the XC60 could be a nice SUV option too.
    Edit - it may be a bit smaller than the Toyota and other options

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Sitec wrote: »
    A brand new Mazda 6 is a nice place to be. You could nearly get a Platinum top spec 2.2 for that, nice step up from an Avensis.

Good shout actually, I've only heard good things about the Mazda and it has more spark to it than most of the others.

He's always driven Civics, Passats, Superbs, etc. so that's why I'd like to see him try something a bit different. Make driving more of an experience than a task. Plus a bit more luxury.
    ianobrien wrote: »
    Why no RWD? Surely when your father learned to drive everything was RWD and probably on remolds. Once proper tyres are under the car, RWD will go anywhere a FWD will go.

As for options, I'd be thinking of an auto SUV/pretend SUV mainly for getting in and out of

I'd agree on the RWD thing, but he's dead-set against not having a RWD. It's tragic.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

A 2013 A6 S-line should be doable for 35k. Slightly left field but you could also get a high spec 2014 Mercedes CLA.

A new Mazda 6 Platinum as mentioned earlier is a good shout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

The CLA is a good shout alright.

I'd be pushing for the CLA, Mazda6, or A6. All lovely cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

• Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Just looking at how far the passat has come with latest version, I'm not convinced a 3 year old A6 is a better option for similar money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Advertisement