Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT and scrapping a motor

Options
  • 04-03-2016 6:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭

If I buy a car in the UK with the intention of bringing it in to transfer engine gearbox and interior to my car and then scrapping it, how does it stand re VRT?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

No VRT applies (Vehicle *Registration* Tax). I think you might still need to prove where the replacement engine came so keep the paperwork and receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

VRT is only required if you are driving the car here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

I don't know how you'd go about getting a cert of destruction.

Strictly speaking all motor vehicles brought into the state have to be VRTd. If it's not roadworthy or incomplete though, you wouldn't be able to VRT it. Bringing it on a trailer or transporter in a non-driveable state would be your best bet

Before people jump on me, I know the chances of getting a bill were he to drive it over and then do as he says are slight but I'm putting forward what I believe is the official position

Advertisement