Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance to BHP Converter

Options
  • 04-03-2016 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hello all!

I am a 24 year old man with a few years no claims driving! I have had a full licence since I was 18.

Recently I have got a good job and am on a good salary, single and have good job security so I'm looking to splash out on my first new car. Its a 184 BHP diesel but still all insurance company's are quoting me on ridiculous money! I am just wondering how many years driving do you need for such an engine and when will I be able to buy whatever car I want within reason (up to 290 BHP ).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Do you have no claims on your own policy or as a named driver? Most companies don't take named driving experience seriously.

I like your thread title though, I just worked out that I'm paying €2.69 per BHP. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Hello all!

I am a 24 year old man with a few years no claims driving! I have had a full licence since I was 18.

Recently I have got a good job and am on a good salary, single and have good job security so I'm looking to splash out on my first new car. Its a 184 BHP diesel but still all insurance company's are quoting me on ridiculous money! I am just wondering how many years driving do you need for such an engine and when will I be able to buy whatever car I want within reason (up to 290 BHP ).

184hp? Sounds like a VAG. These seem to have a premium loading thanks to all the 'felt spec cars. Get a quote on something else before you buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Johnny K

smash wrote:
    I like your thread title though, I just worked out that I'm paying €2.69 per BHP.

I'm paying €2.77/BHP I'm being ripped off!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

There's more to it than just BHP. Generally the amount of claims will determine the risk against particular cars. VAG powerful TDIs are popular with young lads, and they crash often hence higher premiums.

Johnny K wrote: »
    I'm paying €2.77/BHP I'm being ripped off!
    Well how many horses are we talking? I could still be paying more than you for insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

im paying 2,12 / hp or so

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

3.96 per bhp......well thats depressing

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Handsome Brute

I should have pointed out that the car in question is a: SKODA OCTAVIA VRS 2.0TDI 184BHP

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Nuw

I'm paying 4€ /hp... :( with 3years NCB older than 25 on a full licence that is 2 years old and a car that is 15 years old (that last bit might the reason whyit's so high though)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

€5.55 so it could be worse lads... :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,898 ✭✭✭kirving

€8.09/bhp - And that's in a 1.8 S40, hardly seen as a boy racer car

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Johnny K

smash wrote:
    Well how many horses are we talking? I could still be paying more than you for insurance.

155 horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

mullingar wrote: »
    184hp? Sounds like a VAG. These seem to have a premium loading thanks to all the 'felt spec cars. Get a quote on something else before you buy.

I was going to guess E46 330d...?

For me, 50cent per bhp. Premium is €150, its a 300bhp car

Gotta love classic policies :)

Johnny K wrote: »
    155 horses.
    Your insurance is cheap enough then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

€13.04 / HP here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

No point using price/bhp as a ratio it's totally irrelevant. I insured a 220bhp car for €500 less than a 190bhp car, for example. Current 150bhp car is the same price as the last 204bhp car. Go figure :D:o

At 24 with a few years no claims and a full licence I would have thought around €750 on a VRS Octavia or so

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I'm paying €3.92 per BHP on my car.
    My wife is paying €3.93 per BHP.

On another car we have in Poland, we pay €1.05 per BHP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

€2.62 in da subaru.
    Not bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭mhackett102

€21.43 per bhp on the Jetta.. The joys of being a young driver :(

After calculating that it has very upset me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Hello all!

How ridiculous are the quotes? I've 9 years on you but with the same car and I'm just a fraction under €800.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Ogogo

Much more than BHP at play. Just switched my insurance from a 190hp to a 230hp and I am getting a premium refund of about 40% - go figure (not complaining)

In addition to age, experience, no claims and the stuff you would expect, the not so obvious things like occupation, the area you live in etc can have a significant impact on your premium.

I would love to see all the criteria.......

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

€3.75 per bhp on mine. The jag was €1.87
    Diesel avensis was €5.33

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I'm paying €4.53/bhp.
    Too much tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Ionised

Very interesting way to price insurance. I'm 2.82 per bhp.

Quite glad that bhp in itself is not the way they come up with a premium figure.

When I did have a 184bhp car I think it was more down to the fact it had GTD written on the tailgate than the actual engine power (and maybe cause it was red... Everyone knows red cars are faster!)

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

€3 per bhp, not bad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

€16.15 per bhp. That's nearly after ruining my Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Lifesapitch

€3.42/hp on a 184 vag. 10 years no claims and a bit older than op though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

I was going to guess E46 330d...?

For me, 50cent per bhp. Premium is €150, its a 300bhp car

Gotta love classic policies :)

Yeah but you're ancient :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

€21.43 per bhp on the Jetta.. The joys of being a young driver :(

After calculating that it has very upset me.
    LawlessBoy wrote: »
    €16.15 per bhp. That's nearly after ruining my Friday.

Jaysis, and I thought my €13.04 / HP figure was bad :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

6 quid. That's not too bad I suppose.

Advertisement