Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance Query

Options
  • 04-03-2016 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭

I know there's a post covering Insurance FAQs which I have looked through and not found this one on it but please direct me to it if I missed it.

I'm just wondering if there's a kind of statute of limitations on a no claims bonus.
    My scenario is this: I was insured on my own car for 1 year over 6 years ago. Once I moved to Dublin my need for a car (and the means to keep it on the road) were gone so I stopped driving for a while. I'm going for my test and looking to get on the road again and just wondering if I can still get a no claims discount from before.

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,123 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It expires after 2 years of non use.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

I know there's a post covering Insurance FAQs which I have looked through and not found this one on it but please direct me to it if I missed it.

I'm just wondering if there's a kind of statute of limitations on a no claims bonus.
    My scenario is this: I was insured on my own car for 1 year over 6 years ago. Once I moved to Dublin my need for a car (and the means to keep it on the road) were gone so I stopped driving for a while. I'm going for my test and looking to get on the road again and just wondering if I can still get a no claims discount from before.

Thanks

There's no statute of limitations with regards NCBs.

Most insurance companies cease to recognise them after 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

There is no statute of limitations on a no claims bonus because it is not a legal document. It is a marketing tool widely used in the insurance industry, but not one is obliged to recognise them from anyone

Advertisement