Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did I hear?

Options
  • 04-03-2016 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭

Okay, this is a tough one, not much to go on. Last night, around 10ish, I heard several whistle like sounds, about 20/30 seconds apart. Each "whistle" only lasted a second or two. There was a considerable distance between each whistle, so whatever made then was moving fairly quickly. Obviously, it must have been a bird. Do owls make whistling noises? If not, can anyone say what else it might have been?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Ulmus

Otters make whistling sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

Ulmus wrote: »
    Otters make whistling sounds.
    Thanks, but it certainly wasn't an otter. They don't move that fast and anyway, I'm a distance from any watercourses. I should say that I'm in a rural area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Wigeon do that, as they fly over, at night. Certainly fits what you're describing.

Here's as close as I can find to an example. Though, at night, in the open, it has a more spiritual feel to it. Those single. Separated cries. I think they do it to keep the flock together and, maybe, reassured :)

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

Stigura wrote: »
    Wigeon do that, as they fly over, at night. Certainly fits what you're describing.

Here's as close as I can find to an example. Though, at night, in the open, it has a more spiritual feel to it. Those single. Separated cries. I think they do it to keep the flock together and, maybe, reassured :)

Thanks. It was a similar enough sound but definitely only one bird rather than a flock. In fairness, I suppose it could have been many types of bird so I'm probably asking a bit much to expect people to identify it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

It was a similar enough sound but definitely only one bird rather than a flock.

Ah. Now, that's what I was trying to convey. See? The flock in the film are pretty much calling for callings sake, it would seem. 'Chattering'.

What I'm talking about, I used to stand and listen to in an inner city. The calls may come ten or more seconds apart. I couldn't see sod all. I just took it to be flocks because I couldn't imagine single birds, crossing the same air space, in wide and long formations. But, maybe they were?

And I knew they were wigeon, because I'd observed them down on the local marsh and estuary. Broad daylight and making that call.

Sorry I can't provide any more data. Like time of year or conditions. This was many decades ago. But, maybe now, if ye hear them again, ye'll be better attuned to consider if that's the sound ye hearing?

Good luck. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement