Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Golfing Holiday Suggestions

Options
  • 04-03-2016 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hey all

Throwing it out there to the extended network on this page.

I'm looking for suggestions for a venue (or venues) to accommodate myself and 11 friends for a midweek golf holiday in May.

Looking to play golf on 2 days with either a 1 night or 2 night stay. Possibly looking at somewhere in the midlands as there will be people coming from Dublin and Cork, though that's not binding.

Looking to play nice courses (either the same course twice or 2 different courses hasn't been decided) and somewhere where we could negotiate a deal seeing as we'd be giving them mid-week business.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Warm regards

Eldon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

If you could manage it this would be a great trip

http://www.portsalongolfclub.com/latest-news-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭yipsnomore

I really like Carton house good courses and great facilities

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭athlone99

Tullamore and Esker Hills would be worth a shout, two very good courses!

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Tullamore and the heritage.

two great courses within about 25mins of each other

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Mount Juliet and Carlow would be my suggestion, equidistant between Dublin and Cork and you could base yourself in Kilkenny City for accommodation. Two top class courses but quite different styles from one another, could be difficult to negotiate a favorable rate but worth checking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭CiaranMcDCFC

Portunma is a great course and nice town as well so well worth a look.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Isn't it great we have so many quality choices, I'd also add Druids Glen/Heath as they are quite different courses, also Headford Old and New in Kells, there's nothing really close to Portumna to allow variety on a second course.
    Check there's no course maintenance wherever you decide to go.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

You could stay in Tullamore and play Esker Hills and Tullamore GC, two great courses.

Esker Hills have a deal going with the Central Hotel as well, 2 rounds, B&B with evening meal is €99 I think. Ray in Esker will tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

There's a bunch of suggestions in the East Coast/Midlands article from this month's Irish Golfer Magazine.

As said above - Esker Hills/Tullamore are excellent suggestions and great value.
    The Mount Wolselely/Carlow/Bunclody combo is also good.

Something else reasonably 'mid way' is Waterford (Faithlegg/Waterford/Waterford Castle/Tramore)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I know it's a bit of a trek, but the North West is fantastic. Without having to go all the way to Donegal - Carne, Enniscrone and/or Rosses Point would be mega. On a different universe to the usual parklands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,816 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Are the lads young/ old - happy to hang around a hotel in middle of nowhere - or would they be looking for a good town ?

If your looking midlands/South - but worth the weekend away - go for Mount Juliet and stay in Kilkenny. Mount Juliet could be expensive, but pick another decent course in the area to spread reduce cost.

Athlone would be a good trip too, great golf there.

The towns for a big group are not that great around the midlands to be honest - Tullamore maybe an option but 2 nights (I don't think so)

The golf in the midlands around Laois - Offaly is fantastic again - not the places for 2 nights in my opinion.

But depends what ye want at night ?

We've had very good trips and cheaper option to Dungarvan and Wexford Town and Arklow (golf in wicklow is outrageously good). Great golf down in Wex/Wat too - with the courses often being a bit more sensible for bigger groups. In fact, the best bang we got for our buck was in south east (imo). It was actually incredibly cheap all in.

The Monty/Carton or The Heritage would be great one stop shops (more expensive and more upmarket) but would be a serious test for lads not seriously into their golf. I'd say if you are in that area - Portarlington is the perfect society course , but with great character - Tullamore a better course.

If you have loads of money , it was 2005 and ye were all builders - I'd be saying Druids Glen 2 nights - mini bus into Greystones for 1 night , just because , Moet at the 10th , and 10 euro cocktails, and a lecture from some pumped up dude with 12 pints in him about how a flat in Budapest is the next big thing. :D

Advertisement