Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Petrol v Diesel on old tax system for 4k?

Options
  • 04-03-2016 12:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭

Is there much point of buying a diesel older than 2008?

The tax is just as high as a petrol and I think there is more to go wrong - turbo, (turbo lag) dpf, etc etc and (stupid I know) the sound. Plus is there really much of a real world mpg gap?

My only diesel was a BMW 320d. It didn't break but i wasn't too impressed.

So if you had 4k to buy and to keep under a 2 litre what would you go for? I'm currently thinking of Alfa 159 / Merc w203 c180 / Honda Accord(petrol).

Opinions appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,188 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If I had a budget of just €4k unless I was doing about 30k plus miles it would be a petrol all the way. A 2 litre petrol your probably looking 30ish mpg a diesel will likely do mid 40ishmpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

If your doing enough mileage there is certainly a case for diesels and the savings can be large even on the older tax system. Depending on the car obviously but often there would be substantial enough mpg gap ~ 15 mpg would be a common enough difference plus the added cost of the petrol being more to buy per litre.

However if your not doing big annual mileage then petrol is the way to go due to them generally being cheaper and easier to maintain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Lekrub

Current circumstances would be 20 min city driving / 15 min national roads morning + evening each day... Last year was different I only done 5k!

What does everyone think on maintenance? I was terrified the swirl flaps on the BMW were gonna go. I just find older petrols more predictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

you know you can get blanking plates to replace the swirl flaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Lekrub

Idbatterim wrote:
    you know you can get blanking plates to replace the swirl flaps?

I know but I was close to selling at that stage where I found out about them being a common issue. But that's another diesel problem you don't get on a petrol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Nuw

On the three you've mentionned alfa, merc and honda, I'd go honda all the way myself. The alfa is an alfa, so it's brilliant to drive but requires maintenance for it to stay reliable, that gen of c-class merc is cramped (I find) and I find the manual gearbox to be less than impressive.

In my opinion the honda would be the most sensible choice.

But then again, is "sensible" what you're looking after? I'd say, have a go in one of each and see which one you prefer ;) then try to locate one with full service history and you should be fine.

When you buy old(ish) second hand, it's really more a matter of how the particular one you're looking at has been looked after than anything else in my opinion.

To give you an example, I bought a 2001 Rover 45 1.4 a few years back that was deemed to be the least reliable motor out there and it turns out to be running like clockwork for 5 years with nothing but petrol, regular service and tyres put into it. It came with full service history and has been well taken care of by previous owners though.

Advertisement