Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to read some philosophy!

Options
  • 03-03-2016 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭

Hi All

My background is in something completely different, but I have lately discovered an immense hunger for quality philosophy. I am looking for some suggestions on where to start.

I should mention that I am interested in reading Classical and Medieval-era philosophy only. I have heard that Seneca and Aurelius are quite interesting, but I'm a newbie so I don't want my enthusiasm killed early. Is there a philosopher in this category that is quite comprehensible even for someone like me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Joe1919

Seneca's letters are very readable. There is an older translation available online at https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Moral_letters_to_Lucilius

Hie essays are also available e.g.
    http://thriceholy.net/Texts/Happy.html

However, its better to have a modern translation. e.g. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Selected-Letters-Oxford-Worlds-Classics/dp/0199533210/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1457303780&sr=8-1&keywords=seneca+fantham
    At times we ought to reach the point even of intoxication, not drowning ourselves in drink, yet succumbing to it; for it washes away troubles, and stirs the mind from its very depths and heals its sorrow just as it does certain ills of the body; and the inventor of wine is not called the Releaser on account of the license it gives to the tongue, but because it frees the mind from bondage to cares and emancipates it and gives it new life, and makes it bolder in all that it attempts. But, as in freedom, so in wine there is a wholesome moderation.
    http://thriceholy.net/Texts/Tranquility.html

Seneca considered himself to be a stoic but he was not very rigid about this and this make him interesting. (He is always quoting and defends epicurus)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

I would highly recommend "The Sorrows of Young Werther" by Goethe, published in 1774.

However it's not really seen as philosophy. I would say it has philosophical merits. What doesn't for a philosopher :D
    The only reason I bought this book was due to learning that Nietzsche admired Goethe's work quite a lot. I had to know why and this was the only one I could find at the time.

This book was a really good read. It reminded me so much of the person I thought Nietzsche was and also the person I have become in many ways.
    I think the experience of reading this book is something I can't easily convey.
    It's a beautiful masterpiece in my view and gives new insights into the mind and heart of Nietzsche himself.
    Maybe into all who admire Nietzsche as much as I do.

As far as enthusiasm goes, this story lit a fire in my heart :)

I don't think this is what you were looking for. But it is something that I am happy I read.
    I wonder if Nietzsche lived this book, as it seems almost prophetic had he not read it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Interesting and brief summary of Greek Philosophy by Ancient History Encyclopedia that includes Pre-Socratics (Thales, Anaximander, Pythagoras, Leucippus, Democritus, and Anaximenes), Sophists and Socrates, Plato and Aristotle, Hellenistic Philosophy, and the Rome Legacy, with many useful links to explore a particular philosopher.

Advertisement