Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice needed folks, Renault Megane

Options
  • 03-03-2016 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭

Hey there, my girlfriend is looking at a renault megane 2005, she was unfortunately in a crash on Monday (unharmed thank god) but her car was written off, so she needs a car pronto.

Looking at a 2005 Renault Megane 118 miles on the clock, 2250 euro (not bad, but all we can afford at moment).

Reason why I'm asking folks in the know here is because although the car is pretty spotless, her friend has just told her to steer clear of the megane because of lots of electrical problems.

Any advice or experiences greatly appreciated peeps. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Her friend is right. They are a disaster of a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I think early and later model meganes are grand .. mid 2000's were /are a total nightmare ... avoid like the plague .

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    I think early and later model meganes are grand .. mid 2000's were /are a total nightmare ... avoid like the plague .

They're all shoite tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

Thanks lads, very much appreciated, we'll leave it at the dealers. :)

I posted this on another thread earlier. Not sure if a saloon car would suit or not though?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-terra/11700606

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

If you buy a Megane cheap enough they can make sense, Ie an 08 for a little more than your 2250, especially with a few key insurance companies not insuring pre 04 cars on new owners .

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2008-renault-megane-nct-01-2018/11477230

Yes electrical Problems inc keys, window regs , bad earths to rear lights , heater blower rheostat, airbag steering wheel squib , and timing belts need to be done ,

however on the plus side

Megan's are ,economical, safe , comfortable, handle well, and can mechanically take big miles on engines and gearboxes without major issues .

So if you buy cheap enough they're chancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Never had much problem with mine in the last 10 years, a few little niggles but nothing serious or expensive.

Most of the problems lay with the electric windows and likely to have been fixed by now under warranty (any Renault dealer should be able to confirm this).

The key is another relatively common complaint. It's a credit card sized fob about 4mm thick and can develop a broken soldered joint internally if abused (probably due to years of people sitting with it in their back pocket). The central locking still works but the car won't recognise the card and you can't start the car (use the spare card). A replacement is about €250 but the card can be repaired for < €100.

Advertisement