Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project management - course/qualification advice

Options
  • 03-03-2016 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for some advice on project management courses and qualifications needed.

Brief background on me is that I work in advertising and my job is essentially to manage campaigns and projects for our clients. However, I'd like to get a formal qualification as it's a bit rich to call myself a Project Manager outside of that context and also have the knowledge to apply project management outside of advertising/marketing.

I've done some research but it's hard to know what courses are well regarded and result in legitimate qualifications.

Can anyone offer any advice on which ones are worth doing? Cost is a factor but I'd consider the pricier ones if it means a gain in the long term.

If there is a more appropriate forum for this please do let me know.

Many thanks,
    CP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,764 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What qualifications do other project managers in your industry have? When employers advertise for PM, what qualifications do they ask for - this is the most important thing for you to consider.

If you want to be able to change industries, then what do employers in the industries you want to work in look for?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭crank_1975

The two major qualifications for Project Management are PMP and Prince2, both are widely recognised although the PMP would have more global recognition.

To sit the PMP exam you must demonstrate 3 years of PM experience (if you have a degree, 5 years without). Application and further details at www.pmi.org

Prince2 has a foundation and practitioner level, usually you can do a 5 day course which includes both exams.

Advertisement