Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gestational Diabetes

Options
  • 03-03-2016 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

So I just got a call to say my glucose tolerance test came back positive and that I've gestational diabetes. I've to go back in next Thurs for a class and to watch my diet in the meantime. That was pretty much all the info I got. I'm devastated.

Anyone with any experience... What does this all mean? After 2 miscarriages this is a very much wanted pregnancy and I'm terrified something could go wrong. I know there's higher risk of complications. Will diet and exercise control it?what should I do or not do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭TheIronyMaiden

First thing I want to tell you - stop worrying :) I'm 36 weeks now and was diagnosed with GD in December so I've been dealing with it for ages now and have found it no bother at all :)

So yes in your diet class they'll give you all the info you need (it's basically all about eating little and often, portion control and low carbs). After that you'll be in every 2 weeks for blood tests in the morning (at least that's what I do in the Rotunda) - you'll be in bright and early after fasting from 8 the night before, get your bloods, have some breakfast and an hour later take your bloods again. If the results are fine, you'll be back in 2 weeks again. If they're high, then they up it to weekly appointments and it varies from there what happens.

You'll get extra scans to monitor the size of the baby (too much sugar makes them grow super big) but my little one is normal size wise so it hasn't been a problem.

Honestly, diet and a bit of exercise and you'll be fine :) the diet can be tough but you get used to it after a week or two. Best of luck with it all :)

EDIT: sorry, just want to say that all of the above is my experience of it - I know some other ladies who were given monitors and things like that but luckily mine was not that severe. As far as I know, if your results were really high they probably would've called you in straight away to give you a monitor. Some results are literally 0.1 over the guideline so it's not very severe at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Hazelnut Button

Thanks so much for the response. Hopefully it's similar to you, not that high and easily controlled. Baby was measuring fine at 20wk scan. Perfectly average to quote the nurse. So hopefully that's a good sign.

Anyone know if it's same approach in the Coombe re: bloods every 2 weeks? I'm a teacher & work about an hour and half from Coombe so appointments every 2weeks will really eat into time missed in school. I'd like to minimize this as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

Hi hazelnut.. I was diagnosed only last week with gestational diabetes too.
    I had my original test done two weeks before that but only told me I was positive at my appointment last Friday. I had to go back to hospital on Monday and spoke to a midwife about diet and exercise. I've been referred to a dietician in the hospital but they said themselves the baby will be born before I get an appointment.
    They gave me a monitor to test my blood sugars 7 times a day. Before and after each meal and just before I go to bed.
    I actually didn't realise how many foods will raise blood sugar!
    I went to see a dietician myself yesterday and am now feeling so much more positive that I can manage it!
    He gave me great tips on how to balance meals to keep sugar levels down.
    I know it's all very daunting at first but we'll get through it!
    How many weeks are you now?
    I'm 29+4.. :)

teggers5 wrote: »
    Hi hazelnut.. I was diagnosed only last week with gestational diabetes too.
    I had my original test done two weeks before that but only told me I was positive at my appointment last Friday. I had to go back to hospital on Monday and spoke to a midwife about diet and exercise. I've been referred to a dietician in the hospital but they said themselves the baby will be born before I get an appointment.
    They gave me a monitor to test my blood sugars 7 times a day. Before and after each meal and just before I go to bed.
    I actually didn't realise how many foods will raise blood sugar!
    I went to see a dietician myself yesterday and am now feeling so much more positive that I can manage it!
    He gave me great tips on how to balance meals to keep sugar levels down.
    I know it's all very daunting at first but we'll get through it!
    How many weeks are you now?
    I'm 29+4.. :)

I'm 26+5. Are you in the Coombe too?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

Sorry, meant to say I'm attending Waterford.

• Advertisement

No worries. Just curious to see how they do things.

Have you been given a list of what you can and can't eat? I did a quick Google and it's saying low fat yoghurts etc. I thought they were laced with sugar?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 RainbowPepper

No worries. Just curious to see how they do things.

Have you been given a list of what you can and can't eat? I did a quick Google and it's saying low fat yoghurts etc. I thought they were laced with sugar?

I've got it too but as I live up the north I'm treated through the NHS. It's actually crazy the amount of sugar that's in yoghurts! The dietician I saw wanted me to keep eating them though, and said the weight watchers ones are fine. It's all a bit trial and error to be honest. You'll find some food affecting you more than others (tomato for me), but also you could eat the exact same thing, same portion size, same time of day and get massively different readings. Stress levels play a big part

• Registered Users Posts: 12 babyllama

Bumping this thread...
    What is the earliest you can get gestational diabetes?
    Just worrying as 2-3 weeks before I found out I was pregnant, I was eating a lot (a lot) of sugar and don't know if this affects it so early on?!
    Sorry for my ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hanaimai

babyllama wrote: »
    Bumping this thread...
    Just worrying as 2-3 weeks before I found out I was pregnant, I was eating a lot (a lot) of sugar and don't know if this affects it so early on?!
    Sorry for my ignorance.

According to the HSE you can get it at any stage of pregnancy but most commonly in the second half. The HSE information is pretty good and easy to read, suggest you check it out here:https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/child-health/gestational-diabetes/why-diabetes-develops-in-pregnancy.html

If you're concerned, just mention it to your GP/midwife/obstetrician.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭gigglybits

babyllama wrote: »
    Bumping this thread...
    Sorry for my ignorance.

Gestational diabetes is not caused by eating lots of sugar.

Have a read of gestational diabetes . co . uk :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭Gatica

I declined the test originally, then suddenly found my weight jumping 2 weeks in a row. I went back to the hospital and specifically requested the test. It came back positive, of the 3 readings I think I was right on the margin on one of the readings, well under on one, and just over on another. Even on the margin was considered as "diabetic". I was given a monitor and a supply of test strips and explained how to manage it. The endocrinologist was convinced I'd be back in a week for insulin injections, but I managed it with diet and exercise.

It's hard the first few days as you get used to a new diet. Early dinner was a big one for me, as we usually ate after daughter was in bed. I started making dinner night before and having it with her early in the evening. Nothing after 7pm.
    I also I had to stop with the apples and berries, and porridge, which I loved, and though healthy was actually a big sugar injection to me. Fats and salts didn't make a big difference for me, but carbs did. For treats, I had Rolo mousse, which is relatively low in sugar compared to some alternatives. Don't be fooled by "healthy sugars", sugar is sugar in any form. I foolishly gorged on dates one time :o If you like nuts, they make a great snack and also fill your tummy.

It was hard to do exercise due to SPD and lower back pain, but I took a short 10 min stroll after dinner-time and lunch-time, which I'm sure helped a little too.

The up-side I actually managed to lose some weight during pregnancy. Baby was a little big (4kg), but not huge, his head was actually smaller than his sister's at birth, and that determines their passage into the world more than belly size.

Good luck! and with a bit of effort at the start, hopefully you'll be on the right-track in no time!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

You can see the oatmeal thing here :

( a nurse put on a continuous glucose monitor and tried a few foods )

https://lilynicholsrdn.com/cgm-experiment-non-diabetic-continuous-glucose-monitor/

Advertisement