Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

accelerated group learning

Options
  • 03-03-2016 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

I have found a uk company, called decoded, who hold 1 day events for coding which my office would be interested in attending. Most of us are relativley competant in html and CSS and we really want an accelerated program for JS, SQL and PHP. But the UK thing is a problem as it means a lot of time away from the desk plus flights and proobably accomodation.

Is there a company in Ireland who offer a similar service? Or a registered instructor who is willing to comit time to teaching between 5-10 people in an office over 1 or 2 days.

If the price is reasonable we would be interested in any such course.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

So my searches yesterday must've triggered adwords as I got ad invites for 1 day courses in Chicago.

Hopefully, I can find a Dublin/Ireland-based company or my boss might be footing a bill to get us stateside. Ah well :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Could you all as a group try to learn it yourself using something like code school?

https://www.codeschool.com/

Depending on the size of your team a pair programming type approach would be helpful and make the more involved exercises a group process. If you were able to take a few days to do something like this in a hackathon style event it might be a good way to learn and be a team building event.

Just an idea though, it might not suit your needs and you might require an actual instructor/mentor depending on the skill set within your team but just an idea I thought I'd float, it has worked quite well for me when providing internal teaching on native Android development. (I was the mentor for that though and used Udacity for further training with the team)

Could you all as a group try to learn it yourself using something like code school?

https://www.codeschool.com/

Depending on the size of your team a pair programming type approach would be helpful and make the more involved exercises a group process. If you were able to take a few days to do something like this in a hackathon style event it might be a good way to learn and be a team building event.

Just an idea though, it might not suit your needs and you might require an actual instructor/mentor depending on the skill set within your team but just an idea I thought I'd float, it has worked quite well for me when providing internal teaching on native Android development. (I was the mentor for that though and used Udacity for further training with the team)

Well yes, we are all using similar programs. eg I'm running through codeacademy and linda/udemy videos others are doing similar things.

But we are all at different levels and since we have different workloads and free time constraints we will probably all progress at completely different rates.

The boss is prepared to send us over to London for a day or 2 to get us all at the same level for the code we need because at the moment we all know enough to get by, but not efficiently, so there is a lot of wasted time when we need to figure out who knows how to fix what.

I was just hoping we could save time and money with a similar service locally. Decoder do work in Dublin, but it's not cheap.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Rather than looking for a scheduled training course you should investigate bringing someone in.

If you've identified a company here or in the UK that offers a a training course that suits, give them a call and ask for pricing to run on-site. If your company is the type where on-site training is likely to be interrupted (most are) then find a local (equipped) training room to hire for the duration or leave that to the training company to arrange for you.

Graham wrote: »
    Rather than looking for a scheduled training course you should investigate bringing someone in.

That's what I'm doing now. Was hoping this thread would lead me in that direction.

Is it simply a matter of approaching a college and speaking to the lecturers or is there some kind of directory of trainers to work off.

I just assumed that this would be a good place to go to since the 1 day course search was a dead end.

So if anyone reading this does offer this kind of instruction then I would be happy to discuss the opportunity

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

That's what I'm doing now. Was hoping this thread would lead me in that direction.

Is it simply a matter of approaching a college and speaking to the lecturers or is there some kind of directory of trainers to work off.

I just assumed that this would be a good place to go to since the 1 day course search was a dead end.

So if anyone reading this does offer this kind of instruction then I would be happy to discuss the opportunity

I'd look at commercial trainers and training organisations, they're more likely to have a ready-made course that's designed to be delivered to an intensive schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

You should contact a training company - they will be only too glad to develop a training package for your company. There's plenty of them in Dublin (names escape me right now).

Private colleges might also have a training division that may be able to help you. Public ones (I'm thinking DIT etc.) would most likely not.

Advertisement