Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Universal steering gaiter

Options
  • 03-03-2016 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for the glue together type? Do they exist like they do with glue together CV boots?

Failed the NCT on an old Honda this morning on it. Tiny tiny tear, pin hole sized almost. I could probably literally repair it with a rubber compound. However if I can get a glue together one I'll stick it on.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

I'm looking for the glue together type? Do they exist like they do with glue together CV boots?

Failed the NCT on an old Honda this morning on it. Tiny tiny tear, pin hole sized almost. I could probably literally repair it with a rubber compound. However if I can get a glue together one I'll stick it on.

steering boots are narrower I've seen lots of split CV boots but not steering

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Buy a regular one ...cut it with a Stanley and really carefully glue it back together.
    I haven't done this but I have used split boots and the glue is really strong so I think if you are really tasty you should be OK.
    Marty

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭dooroy

Used the split CV boots on a 2000 Galaxy recently - and they really are very fiddly to get right .
    Even though I had the shaft out I still noticed a tiny leak after a while.
    The split boot has a small lip on one side and a groove for it to fit into on the other side.
    I would imagine trying to just join the 2 sides of a boot cut with a knife would be practically impossible. A lot would also depend on how accessible the boot is and steering rack boots can be difficult to get at .
    And I have never seen a split boot for a rack - they are generally quite long and actually do get stretched a lot so that's probably why they are not available

Advertisement