Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Learning to Drive, places around Dublin to practice?

Options
  • 03-03-2016 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

I have to bring my wife out for driving lessons at the weekend. is there anywhere around Dublin that would be good to start. A large near empty car park or such. She says she can drive but having never seen her do it want to start in a nice quiet place before we hit the road.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,353 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Best getting driving lessons, an instructor will have no problem taking someone from no experience up to driving the car within an hour. Doing lessons yourself you risk her getting points on her licence with no insurance and if that happens she will have big trouble ever getting insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭vjmcdonnell

Sorry, she does have a learner permit and is full insured on the car. I have held a full license for about 20 years so no legal issues with her driving with myself in the car.
    Im just looking for somewhere quiet to start off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭kirving

Even if she's insured, etc, you're still better off going to an instructor. No matter how good of a driver you are, the instructor will have hundreds if not thousands of hours teaching others. You wont risk points, damage to the car, or hitting her self confidence because she isn't picking something up quickly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 talkingllama

not a car park, but the Glasnevin Industrial Estate tends to be nice and quiet at the weekend. pick a quiet road up the back

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭vjmcdonnell

Thanks, never thought of an industrial area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 codghost89

Probably depends on where you're located, but I found industrial estates particularly on Sundays was great. Around Robinhood Ind estate / Ballymount is quiet enough.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

She will have to do the 12 mandatory lessons anyways. May as well start driving with an instructor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm in the same situation here. I'm doing driving lessons atm but I find I really need to get practice between them as it's not enough and I'm not making much progress. I'm based on the southside so anywhere nearby would be good as my full licence driver wouldn't know Glasnevin and wouldn't feel comfortable driving there. I have tried Spawell car park heading towards Tallaght but I really need something with a straight run so as to be able to get up to third gear and get comfortable with the car as I'm not feeling it. Any tips would be great, thanks :)

Edit: Ballymount Industrial Estate is a great tip. I'll bear it in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

JFK Industrial Estate, Robinhood, Ballymount all good shouts, have roundabouts and good straights to change up and down the gears. Parkwest Industrial Estate has plenty of ramps too, but the security in the place tend to run you.

Advertisement