Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can't get Vw Passat 09 into reverse

Options
  • 03-03-2016 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi everyone,
    Could someone give me an idea of what is wrong here? I have a 09 Passat and have found for the last week or so that the car won't go into reverse. I try to put urban gear but it won't engage properly. This inly happens when I first use the car each day, after that it works okay. I will bring it to the mechanic, just would like to have an idea of probable causes first please. All other gears working okay.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

Try letting your foot off the clutch very slowly while trying to engage gear at the same time. It will help it to slot in. This happens with pretty much with all my cars. It's probably because I always start the engine with my foot on the clutch. The alternative is a grinding sound when you select gear. Unless you have some sort of linkage problem your 'problem' could be perfectly normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

When you start car and drive in the morning - is reverse the first gear you put it into?

Try putting in 1st gear first and then reverse, does this help?
    Is car parked in gear?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Dual mass flywheel problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

emeldc wrote: »
    Try letting your foot off the clutch very slowly while trying to engage gear at the same time. It will help it to slot in. This happens with pretty much with all my cars. It's probably because I always start the engine with my foot on the clutch. The alternative is a grinding sound when you select gear. Unless you have some sort of linkage problem your 'problem' could be perfectly normal.

I agree with this completely.
    i do the same out of habit without even realising it

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭u2me

check linkage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Clutch is on the way out.
    Had exact same issue on the wife's Golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Whats the problem with starting the car with the foot on the clutch? Just curious, cos I always do that!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

There is no problem starting with clutch depressed.

Whats the problem with starting the car with the foot on the clutch? Just curious, cos I always do that!

It's not a problem as such. When you start with your foot on the clutch, the box is at a dead stop, so unless all the necessary cogs are in line they may not mesh properly. Letting your foot off the clutch a bit causes some movement within the box and helps everything to mesh together. That's the layman's explanation :rolleyes:

The woman next door to me starts her car every morning with her foot off the clutch. She revs it to about 3k and straight away engages reverse. How there are any teeth left on the gear is beyond me.

emeldc wrote: »
    It's not a problem as such. When you start with your foot on the clutch, the box is at a dead stop, so unless all the necessary cogs are in line they may not mesh properly. Letting your foot off the clutch a bit causes some movement within the box and helps everything to mesh together. That's the layman's explanation :rolleyes:.

That's what the syncro rings are for!

• Advertisement

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    That's what the syncro rings are for!

Do all cars have a syncro for reverse?

Since the early 1970's......

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Since the early 1970's......

Don't mind me then, just talking through my orse loike :D