Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser Rangefinders

Options
  • 03-03-2016 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

I'm looking at getting a laser rangefinder but I've never used one before. The Bushnells range from 250 - 600 ish, are there much differences between high end and basic models?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

X200 wrote: »
    I'm looking at getting a laser rangefinder but I've never used one before. The Bushnells range from 250 - 600 ish, are there much differences between high end and basic models?

I bought one on ebay 3 years ago, non branded, chinese one for €55 incl delivery.
    Its been dropped, got wet, thrown into the bag, and is still working 100%, all ive ever done is change the batteries. They are essentially all the same on the inside.
    I regret not buying a 2nd one tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 X200

I bought one on ebay 3 years ago, non branded, chinese one for €55 incl delivery.
    Its been dropped, got wet, thrown into the bag, and is still working 100%, all ive ever done is change the batteries. They are essentially all the same on the inside.
    I regret not buying a 2nd one tbh!

That's an interesting one. I don't wanna be a Bushnell bitch.

You're a gentleman and a scholar.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭BillyBoy

Just on the Bushnell's if you do decide to go down that route, I don't think there is much difference in the different models. I think that the larger/more expensive models have a longer range and more magnification.

I recently bought the Tour V3 model and am very happy with. It has '5 yards - 1,000 yards ranging performance. 300+ yards to a flag'. To be honest I can't hit the ball over 300 yards, so I don't really need much more range! :) I do like the Jolt feature (it basically vibrates) on it which lets you know you have hit the flag - (99% of the time it works). I have shakey hands, so gives me a bit of confidence I am picking up the correct yardage.

• Advertisement

I think I'd prefer the freedom of the using the laser anywhere over using a GPS just to the green.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Ronney

BillyBoy wrote: »
    Just on the Bushnell's if you do decide to go down that route, I don't think there is much difference in the different models. I think that the larger/more expensive models have a longer range and more magnification.

I recently bought the Tour V3 model and am very happy with. It has '5 yards - 1,000 yards ranging performance. 300+ yards to a flag'. To be honest I can't hit the ball over 300 yards, so I don't really need much more range! :) I do like the Jolt feature (it basically vibrates) on it which lets you know you have hit the flag - (99% of the time it works). I have shakey hands, so gives me a bit of confidence I am picking up the correct yardage.

Have a V3 myself, play mostly on a parkland and find the Jolt thing can pick up trees behind the green at times.

Word of caution, some of the more expensive models measure Slope as well. This is not allowed to be used in competition

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Ronney wrote: »
    Have a V3 myself, play mostly on a parkland and find the Jolt thing can pick up trees behind the green at times.

Yes, happened me before when playing Royal Tara, first time playing the course and on one of the par 5s thought I was 225 yards out and proceeded to hit my 3 wood straight over the green into the trees I had picked out behind. My playing partners had a good laugh at my disbelief and said afterwards thought I was using a lot of club but presumed I was trying some sort of fancy stinger shot into the breeze.
    I only have my laser about 9 months and they're a great addition but you can get complacent and joint point and shoot and trust the figures returned. Technology can bite you in the arse if you rely on it too heavily as evident above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

You can now use your phone as a gps or a laser which measures slope for distance. You're not allowed access any forbidden features on any device, e.g slope

http://www.randa.org/News/2015/12/Revision-to-Rules-Regarding-Distance-Measuring-Devices

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Is there apps that act like a laser range finder??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

Senna wrote: »
    Is there apps that act like a laser range finder??

Don't think that's possible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Personally I've never had a problem with lasering the wrong target. Start on the flag and swing it left and right, pick the shortest distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Personally I've never had a problem with lasering the wrong target. Start on the flag and swing it left and right, pick the shortest distance.

Yes but the bushnell has a feature where it locks on the flag so you do need to double check it's not locked on the background - very rare in my experience but can happen. They also have scan mode but I don't use it very often

Well I was in the shop getting some balls and they got me, ended up buying a Bushnell Tour V3. I'm loving it to be honest I didn't think it would effect my game as much as it has. A humbling experience when you realise how far you actually hit each club but a lot more pin high shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭benny79

X200 wrote: »
    Well I was in the shop getting some balls and they got me, ended up buying a Bushnell Tour V3. I'm loving it to be honest I didn't think it would effect my game as much as it has. A humbling experience when you realise how far you actually hit each club but a lot more pin high shots.

How much did it set you back? I tried using a few and found I get a bad dose of the shakes when Im using them :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

benny79 wrote: »
    How much did it set you back? I tried using a few and found I get a bad dose of the shakes when Im using them :D

same here, tried one out a few times and got a different distance every time!!! Can't beat the trusty GPS!!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭JJTippBhoy

Had the WT3 watch last year & replaced it with the V3 laser finder.
    A great move. We have one green in our course that is about 50 yards long so a big difference between front, back & middle.
    For the shakes using the V3 I find that if you close your elbows into your body it anchors the arms better.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

charlieIRL wrote: »
    same here, tried one out a few times and got a different distance every time!!! Can't beat the trusty GPS!!

I think its the monkey and not the wrench

Changed from GPS to Laser a few years back and its much better. Takes a little getting used to but can be way more useful than a GPS I think. Correct use on the range can really benefit your game and dial in you yardages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

JJTippBhoy wrote: »
    We have one green in our course that is about 50 yards long so a big difference between front, back & middle.

Some green, are you a member of The European Club.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Some green, are you a member of The European Club.

Think the one at the European is closer to 100.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Domo1982 wrote: »
    I think its the monkey and not the wrench

Changed from GPS to Laser a few years back and its much better. Takes a little getting used to but can be way more useful than a GPS I think. Correct use on the range can really benefit your game and dial in you yardages.
    Next time you troll, permanent ban from here

benny79 wrote: »

It was 349 although they threw in some golf balls. Pricey but I feel like for the price of a new driver it's made a big change to my game so I think it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Berty44

Got the one above, cost me €75. Well worth it, fantastic little gismo. Really easy to use. Used it for first time last weekend. With shaky hands I struggled to sometimes actually get on to the flag so that takes a bit of getting used to and I did need the assistance of my old garmin watch from longer distances to ensure it was the flag I was picking up. I ended up picking up the yardages to the trees behind the greens sometimes but I think once I get to used to it and focus in better then that will become less of a problem.

I did happen to be playing with a committee member one of the days and politely requested if he could organise to get any trees behind greens cut down to eliminate this problem....that really did get a good laugh out of him !

Advertisement