Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do people live in motorhomes in Ireland?

Options
  • 03-03-2016 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

Hi Folks. I just came over from Spain and was living with my family in Malaga where we saw lots of people that seemed to be living in their motorhomes. I know here it gets colder but was wondering if people still do live in motorhomes in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

I dont think many people would live in motorhomes / camper-vans here all year round, except members of the travelling community. There was an increase in the last few years where they swapped the caravans for camper-vans. If you are seeing these campers at the side of the road or in road-side laybys / carparks etc then they prob belong to Travellers / Itinerants . However, I do know a few people who bought mobile-homes and live in them while they are building a house or extension etc , but then, they would be at the end of an obvious construction site and look semi-permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I know of three people who did, two in Easkey, they never moved and who floated around Co Clare, it can't be an easy life.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭regi3457

I know of three people who did, two in Easkey, they never moved and who floated around Co Clare, it can't be an easy life.

because of the cold you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Its a confined space to have to live in with basic facilities compared to a house. If you were parked somewhere with access to facilities such as showers, toilets and electricity it would make it a bit easier. I would say full time wild camping could get tiring very quickly.

I did 5 years full time.
    I'm only a part-timer now which translates as about 5 months a year all told.

Took a while getting used to living in a house...wasn't so into it. Infinite electricity, water and drainage it's all a bit weird and too easily taken for granted imho.

It's a way easier life. Once you get a rhythm and upgrade the man cave to a decent standard. :p
    Less bills, less stress, no annoying neighbours. New view out the window every morning. No need for a 9 to 5 gig.

I've twice as much stuff now I'm domesticated. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Freedive Ireland

Dora?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

I've twice as much stuff now I'm domesticated. :rolleyes:

Amen, ones stuff expands to the size of the vessel.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭camper guy

Hi all,
    I do a bit of work camping a couple of days a week, good shower and canteen faciltys in work so im not exactly roughing it.
    I never have any problems with being asked to move as I dont park in residential areas and dont park in the same place two nights in succession.
    I watch a lot of you tube these guys are full timers happily houseless, nomadic fanatic, kombi life, just in a van.and there are lots of other youtube channells about camper builds ,solar upgrades etc.

Great material for camper and motorhome fanatics or enthusiasts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

There's a trailer park in Swords between pound pub and jc's.

I never knew it was there.. Just happened to be stuck in traffic outside..

[url]
    https://goo.gl/maps/Q4JHqnZTNt12[/url]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Dora?

No there was a guy from up north who lives in the grey bus over by the far wall. He got hassled out in the end then got a house in Dunmore West. The bus was moved to over by the entrance and eventually burned out. There was a write up about him in Surfers Path once. Very sound guy.

Then there was Tam from Scotland who was parked up in an old bus in front of Easkey left. Wasn't a surfer but into photography and fishing.

English Rod was floating around Clare, in a converted Merc Bus a friend of mine had one like it so we all got talking / invited him in after the pub in Doolin for Whiskey. His bus was a work of art, he'd converted it him self.

• Advertisement
Advertisement