Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dipetane question, failed NCT smoke test

Options
  • 03-03-2016 11:49am

Mondeo Mk4 failed on smoke test last week, am running some Dipetane through the system at the moment to clean out carbon build up & getting full service with all new filters. Have heard plenty of reports of this stuff helping many to pass the test but one thing I cant seem to find out is if it's a good idea to use the Dipetane through the test itself or should it have cleared the system by the time of the test?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Mondeo Mk4 failed on smoke test last week, am running some Dipetane through the system at the moment to clean out carbon build up & getting full service with all new filters. Have heard plenty of reports of this stuff helping many to pass the test but one thing I cant seem to find out is if it's a good idea to use the Dipetane through the test itself or should it have cleared the system by the time of the test?

I believe it's perfectly fine for it to be in the system during the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

They won't bother with checking for Dipetane, I've used it myself (just as a precaution, not sure if it helped or not).
    As long as car passes emissions it's all good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Doesn't matter what's in tank as regards anti smoke additives, more important is to give it welly in low gears to blow out the exhaust system and have a hot engine going in to test. They will be doing high revs in the test anyway, better do it under load on the road than under no load in the centre. It will also mean they don't have to repeat high revs more than is necessary.

Thanks for the replies, I knew alright that it doesn't matter what's in the tank, was more concerned about the possibility of it being more smoky under high revs with the dipetane in the tank during the test as its more combustible than just diesel, its good for cleaning the system but wondering if it might give a higher reading than just plain diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭MarkN

Thanks for the replies, I knew alright that it doesn't matter what's in the tank, was more concerned about the possibility of it being more smoky under high revs with the dipetane in the tank during the test as its more combustible than just diesel, its good for cleaning the system but wondering if it might give a higher reading than just plain diesel

I used it in my car two weeks ago, put half a bottle in the tank an hour before the test and gave it some beans on the way to the centre in 2nd and 3rd. Don't know if it helped, again I just did out of caution but the car passed perfectly fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

dipetane in the tank during the test as its more combustible than just diesel

Smoke is unburnt diesel so the more fuel that's burnt the lower the smoke reading, in theory at least, so dipetane will improve (lower) the smoke.

MarkN wrote: »
    I used it in my car two weeks ago, put half a bottle in the tank an hour before the test and gave it some beans on the way to the centre in 2nd and 3rd. Don't know if it helped, again I just did out of caution but the car passed perfectly fine.

:D I think that answers my question, wont be putting that much in but good to know..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

:D I think that answers my question, wont be putting that much in but good to know..

well make sure you put the sufficient amount in relative to the amount of fuel in your tank, otherwise it may not be effective.

well make sure you put the sufficient amount in relative to the amount of fuel in your tank, otherwise it may not be effective.

Thanks for the advice, the recommended mix is 1:200 & its a litre bottle with prices hovering around the euro/litre. So unless you're putting in 100 litres in the tank you wouldn't normally use half a bottle. I have a strong mix in at the moment to burn off excess soot but plan on putting in about 2 or 300ml with the next fill for the retest

Full service changing all filters & used about 250ml for retest and it passed with very low readout of 0.1 (threshold 3.0), plan on using it again few times a year to prevent build up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement