Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cost of brake disc and pads for a Hyundai ix35

Options
  • 03-03-2016 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

Can anyone give me a ballpark cost of fitting new front disks and pads to a Hyundai ix35, main dealer and independent comparison would be useful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Not a Hyundai but I paid approx. €300 for the same job on a Nissan Qashqai at a main dealer last year.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Ask a Hyundai dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

Alun wrote: »
    Not a Hyundai but I paid approx. €300 for the same job on a Nissan Qashqai at a main dealer last year.

Thanks Alun, thats about what I figured. I got a quote yesterday from a Hyundai dealer for €450 which seems excessive.
    Ask a Hyundai dealer.
    Thats helpful :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭kirving

Is it still under warranty though?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

quenching wrote: »
    Thanks Alun, thats about what I figured. I got a quote yesterday from a Hyundai dealer for €450 which seems excessive.

So you already had a dealer quote?

Tbh, since mechs and dealers may use different brands of pads and discs, may have some "special deal" on, it's pretty difficult for us to supply quotes when you can just as easily ring a few local places and ask.
    Ask what brand they use and then google that brand to get reviews. Or ask here about the brands that are good.

450 does seem too much, but I do my own discs and pads so usually do it all for somewhere closer to 100/150 depending on brand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Do people seriously pay 300+ for disks and pads for one axel?
    Is it to retain a warranty or something ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Genuine Hyundai parts are extremely expensive.

I'd say you could cut that quote in half by going for aftermarket.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

quenching wrote: »

It's frankly a bit odd asking us what a dealer would charge for a job.

It's even odder asking us the same question, when you already know the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Tigger wrote: »
    Do people seriously pay 300+ for disks and pads for one axel?

Hopefully not because under EU Block Exemption Regulations your manufacturer/authorised dealer warranty is still safe even if you use other brand parts and indy garages. This also applies to any warranty sold by the authorised dealer at or near the same time as the car including 3rd party or extended warranties.

FAQ (pdf)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

You can at least halve the main dealer quote by buying non OEM disks and having an independent mechanic fit them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

€450 is competitive for a main dealer on those bits, i'd almost go so far as to say they were probably doing you a favour at that price.

For that car, OEM pads retail around €140 and the discs €100 a piece.

You'd certainly get them done independently for less, but there is swings and round abouts to that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

100 a disc is extortionate, Mister Auto have a pair of Brembo discs for 80+postage.
    Fair enough if you want OEM pads they are Sangsin I think.
    Brembo are actually OEM on some other Hyundai so I wouldn't be surprised to find the IX is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

What i'd say is important to bare in mind here, is that although the main dealer price is rather expensive, it does sound like they are trying to make that as reasonable as they can for you in order to get your business. I'd say they made a conscious effort to get that under €500 in order to try keep your business. It's probably the best offer they could make. It's not like they are hiking prices for the craic, they are just trying to compete, with parts that are supplied to them very expensively. I'd say the dealer won't see €100 of that €450.

You could go independent for less, you might save €100 which is obviously not an unconsiderable amount in the short term, but in the long run having a rapport with your main dealer can often be advantageous if or when something drastic happens with your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Just got an OEM front discs + front pads set for a Saab 95 last week for £59, I'll be fitting them myself this weekend.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Tigger wrote: »

Brake pads are a wear item and excluded from warranty.

Hyundai don't make brake pads, they make some bits for cars and call them their own. Brakes are probably someone like Mintex. Full set should cost about €75 + fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Steve wrote: »

Hyundai don't make brake pads, they make some bits for cars and call them their own. Brakes are probably someone like Mintex. Full set should cost about €75 + fitting.
    Hyundai pads are made by Sangsin afaik.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Hyundai pads are made by Sangsin afaik.

Same difference, probably similar price. :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Steve wrote: »

Excluded from being covered under warranty maybe but you try get a claim through for a caliper(on a vehicle still inside warranty) on a car thats not had genuine parts fitted.The distributors will use any excuse not to pay.

For the OP--If it still inside warranty save yourself any future hassle and go genuine.If its not Local Indy probably half the price.

Advertisement