Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor data plans on vodafone

Options
  • 03-03-2016 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

Hi im living in rural ireland .... My line speed is very poor so the only alternative is vodafone ... There 4g mast is fairly close to me so i get around 3 bars of 4g ... Excellent speeds cant complain there ... Only thing is there over priced plans ... 7.5gb for 20 euro a month which is daylight robbery ..So come the end of each month im finding that im spending about 60 euro a month or so... Any alternatives guys ??
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Vodafone/Meteor: Limited plans, fast
    Three: Unlimited plans, dog slow

Cheap
    Fast
    Unlimited

Pick 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭bugfreebob

robbiep958 wrote: »
    Hi im living in rural ireland .... My line speed is very poor so the only alternative is vodafone ... There 4g mast is fairly close to me so i get around 3 bars of 4g ... Excellent speeds cant complain there ... Only thing is there over priced plans ... 7.5gb for 20 euro a month which is daylight robbery ..So come the end of each month im finding that im spending about 60 euro a month or so... Any alternatives guys ??

ED E is absolutely correct - one of the main reasons Meteor/Eir & Vodafone are so much better than Three is because they discourage excessive use with their tariff plans.

If you have a student or a teacher in the family , the Dept of Education have a sweet deal with Meteor that gives better value - €19.99 for 50GB or €9.99 for 25GB.

https://meteor.ie/student/

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭robbiep958

ED E wrote: »
    Vodafone/Meteor: Limited plans, fast
    Three: Unlimited plans, dog slow

Cheap
    Fast
    Unlimited

Pick 2.

Are three really unlimited though . There has to be a cut of point in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Its called maxing out your all your available bandwidth.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

2 Terabytes. But in most parts of the network its not possible to use that much in 30 days so effectually unlimited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

If you prefer to stick to prepay, I would suggest trying iD Mobile and Meteor's simplicity plan.

Although iD Mobile uses Three's network, the speed is consistently quicker than Three's own phone SIM speed. E.g. in Ballybofey when I get 1Mbps to 2Mbps on Three, iD Mobile gets 4Mbps to 8Mbps. Their prepay plans are €15/25GB, €25/40GB and €30/60GB.

So this may be worth using in combination with Vodafone, e.g. use the Vodafone SIM when you need speed (e.g. peak time streaming) and iD Mobile for everything else, e.g. downloads, Windows updates, etc. If you use two MiFi's (Vodafone and iD Mobile), you can mark the Vodafone one as "Metered" in Windows, which prevents Windows updates and other compliant software from using it. Then when you switch to the other MiFi, any waiting updates will start downloading.

As for Meteor, they have a €20 simplicity plan which provides 15GB a month with their prepay phone plans. The SIM will work in a dongle or you can place it in an unused phone and just tether with it.

The main catch with both iD Mobile and Meteor's simplicity plans are that the plans only reactivate once every 30 days. I.e. if the data allowance is used up, you can't just immediately buy another 30 day add-on like you can with Vodafone's prepay broadband.

As for Bill pay (contract) plans, Meteor seem to have the best value and shortest contract. Their monthly plans are €20/30GB and €30/55GB and the contract lasts 6 months. With Vodafone, their monthly plans are €22/15GB, €30/30GB and €50/50GB and the contract lasts 12 or 18 months depending on chosen router.

Advertisement