Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need a replacement car for a week. D15 options?

Options
  • 03-03-2016 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    my car is getting its transmission re-hauled and its going to be out of action for aweek or so. What are my options on getting a replacement car in the d15 area? ive never rented a car before?
    any advice welcomed re: insurance/cost etc...
    thanks

Comments

Arguscarhire.com

Rented a seat Leon for a 5 day spell this time last year for under 100

• Registered Users Posts: 21,146 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Head for the airport. Used to use a rental years ago for blocks of four days. I think it was Avis I found VG.
    I found one company were scamming with 'dents' to grab the deposit. Myself and OH stood at the desk for 2 hours one Saturday, not budging.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Enterprise have a depot in Castleknock, pretty sure it's in Brady's

Rates at this time of year should be fairly cheap for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

R.O.R wrote: »
    Enterprise have a depot in Castleknock, pretty sure it's in Brady's

Rates at this time of year should be fairly cheap for a week.

Great to deal with ! Can pick you up if needed also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

I've rented a lot of cars over the past few months as I was between cars. The best sites are www.autoeurope.ie and www.rentalcars.com. I've never found any value in going direct to the car hire company. Online rates through these brokers are always cheaper.

What you get is a bit of a lottery but I've always managed to get a car for €6 -€8 per day including basic insurance. (excluding Christmas) They do try the hard sell on extra insurance but I always declined. They will however pre-authorise a hefty sum of your credit card in this case, typically €1200.

Don't be tempted to take the "upgrade". It could end up doubling your cost for the joy of getting a diesel Focus! Check the car fully when taking it and agree on any damage with the rep. Take photos of any damage while still in their yard. Sharp practice in this respect is not unheard of and they might chance their arm hitting you for some damage already caused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Just be mindful its coming up to Paddy's weekend. You might have a premium for the tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,146 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Yes be careful, sometimes a near 'invisible dent' gets a number of roll outs.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,389 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I've taken to payin for the full insurance after I got caught on that particular scam.

Advertisement