Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inter constituency championship

Options
  • 02-03-2016 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

I don't know if this has ever been brought up before but looking at the 2016 election map http://tinyurl.com/jdlo6m4 got me thinking. Instead of counties, what if inter county teams were based on these *40 constituencies?

Obviously plenty reasons why this would/should never happen (history/tradition etc.). But each team would draw from similar sized populations which could be a starting point to make things more competitive - although you would have to ignore the advantage given to Donegal, Clare, Kerry, Tipperary, Carlow-Killkenny, Waterford, Wexford :) But hey interesting all the same.

*plus a few more once the 6 counties are divided up similarly

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

mhtc wrote: »
    I don't know if this has ever been brought up before but looking at the 2016 election map http://tinyurl.com/jdlo6m4 got me thinking. Instead of counties, what if inter county teams were based on these *40 constituencies?

Obviously plenty reasons why this would/should never happen (history/tradition etc.). But each team would draw from similar sized populations which could be a starting point to make things more competitive - although you would have to ignore the advantage given to Donegal, Clare, Kerry, Tipperary, Carlow-Killkenny, Waterford, Wexford :) But hey interesting all the same.

Five seaters would have a big advantage over three seaters. Heading for twice the population in a five seater.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

Five seaters would have a big advantage over three seaters. Heading for twice the population in a five seater.

So you're saying Dublin as it is now should be split up?

I agree

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mhtc

True, but still better than Dublin having 40 times the population of Leitrim for example.

Interesting to see what sort of teams could be put together using these new boundaries from today's panels.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

mhtc wrote: »

I like your thinking. You are at least thinking outside the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Some of those Dublin constituencies have the population numbers but geographically small.
    Would they have many clubs to draw from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

DuffleBag wrote: »
    So you're saying Dublin as it is now should be split up?

I agree

Yeah, that's exactly what I said.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Interesting...... if it's based on the constituency then I assume Longford/Westmeath will only contain Westmeath players

• Registered Users Posts: 13,296 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I like it - "hey Mr Bundoran Footballer, you used to play for Donegal but from this season onwards you now play for Sligo-Leitrim". Players would love that bit of variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mhtc

I like it - "hey Mr Bundoran Footballer, you used to play for Donegal but from this season onwards you now play for Sligo-Leitrim". Players would love that bit of variety.

Taking a hit for the greater good!

Nah one of the many reasons why it would never fly....unless got paid to do so :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

This won't come in but what hoops would you need it to get through to get congress to vote on it or is too fundamental a change to be up before congress?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

"Congrats on your long service to Tipperary over the past number of years, best of luck with Offaly next year"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Do you reckon lads around Clonmellon/Delvin would have a problem playing for Meath West instead of Westmeath?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Cavan or Cavan Or Cavan/Monaghan would lose to Sligo/Leitrim

Gearoid McKiernan(Swad)
    Ciaran Brady(Arva)
    Jason McLoughlin(Shannon Gaels)
    Ray Gallingan (Lacken) Goalkeeper(I think Lacken/Ballintemple has moved to that constitutency)

Non Football rant:It was a ridiculous decision moving West Cavan to the Sligo/Leitrim constituency

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Sure Kilkenny can use all the help they can get, sure throw in Carlow for good measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭kksaints

Sure Kilkenny can use all the help they can get, sure throw in Carlow for good measure.

Would make no difference what so ever. Hurlers would still be the same and we would still be awful at football.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

More difficult to look at the north, they have 18 constituencies for the House of Commons, definitely too many there to form viable teams. Local authorities might be more appropriate.

NI11w.jpg

Wonder if any of those divisions would end up overwhelmingly protestant.

That South Armagh/South Down could be a strong combination.

"Congrats on your long service to Tipperary over the past number of years, best of luck with Offaly next year"

We'd lose Bonnar and a few Kilruane lads to that lot....no dice :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I can't see it taking off. An inter-diocesan championship would be better. Imagine Liam McCarthy residing permanently in Killaloe, and Sam Maguire in Drumcondra, having been propelled there with the aid of some Wicklowmen.

feargale wrote: »
    I can't see it taking off. An inter-diocesan championship would be better. Imagine Liam McCarthy residing permanently in Killaloe, and Sam Maguire in Drumcondra, having been propelled there with the aid of some Wicklowmen.

Cashel and Emly for Sam and Liam! :D

Advertisement