Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pruning Arbutus Unedo

Options
  • 02-03-2016 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

Wondered what experience people have of pruning arbutus. I have a few mature ones in the garden but one toppled onto its side years ago and until today I never really realised how much space it's taking up.
    It's spread is at least 3 or 4 metres and I'd like to cut back the horizontal branches without killing it. Will the branches re-grow or will I be left with a lot of bare stumps? It's very healthy otherwise and flowers well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭rje66

lottpaul wrote: »
    Wondered what experience people have of pruning arbutus. I have a few mature ones in the garden but one toppled onto its side years ago and until today I never really realised how much space it's taking up.
    It's spread is at least 3 or 4 metres and I'd like to cut back the horizontal branches without killing it. Will the branches re-grow or will I be left with a lot of bare stumps? It's very healthy otherwise and flowers well.

Got a picture.?

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

lottpaul wrote: »

It's takes pruning more like a shrub than a tree, you'll have your work cut out to mess it up and kill it:pac::)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

rje66 wrote: »
    Got a picture.?

Not any more I'm afraid! Took courage in both hands yesterday and attacked it with a saw, loppers etc. It's pretty tough timber - but managed to shape it into a reasonable bush in the end. Also discovered a bridal wreath spirea that I had forgotten about so it'll be a lot happier with the extra light.

Advertisement