Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

6 speed diesel for 1000km weekly commute - new car recommendations?

Options
  • 02-03-2016 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭

I'm currently driving a 2008 1.8 125bhp 6 speed Mondeo. The mileage on it is getting high though at 241k and it's starting to give trouble.

My plan is to change vehicle next year or perhaps even the second half of this year if I got a good deal somewhere. I'm looking for a 6 speed diesel as I do a lot of motorway driving.

I was thinking about the Octavia as its available on 0% PCP. My wife drives an Ibiza so we would also have repairs/services etc. through the one dealer.

My budget will be about 25k but I'd like to go as fuel efficient as I can and get the best bang for buck on the 25k I'm spending (if I do spend that much).

Recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Try and get a 2.0 litre over the default 1.6. For that sort of motorway driving the 2.0 litre will be just as fuel efficient and a lot less stressful to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,389 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Some of the early blue motion stuff had 5 speed and extra long 4th and 5th for motorway economy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

No specific car recommendations for you but as someone who does close to that distance each week, when it comes to changing my car I don't think i'd buy a new car again, the depreciation is fierce and if you're doing that distance in a car you really love, keeping it in top condition becomes very expensive

I'd buy something as modern, safe and as reliable as possible with the essentials for commuting, six speed, comfortable seats, xenons if possible etc. (not easy I know) but which has at least done a significant part of its depreciation.

That's just my opinion, I know there are plenty who have a different view and would say get the best car you can afford since you'll be spending so much time in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

If you're paying for the diesel yourself, Peugeot 308 BlueHdi 120 is one to consider.
    http://clubmagazine.rac.co.uk/best-cars/peugeot-308-active-1-6-bluehdi/

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭madmac187

Don't buy PCP you will get screwed at the if you do over the mileage cap which is usually around 20k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Smiley11

Weeellll...if the plan is to buy the Octavia out at the end of the term, then 0% PCP seems the way to go in my opinion. Its a type of free loan from what I can see... I'm no expert though! Otherwise, as madmac says, they'll screw you...by the kilometre!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Lemlin wrote: »
    I'm currently driving a 2008 1.8 125bhp 6 speed Mondeo. The mileage on it is getting high though at 241k and it's starting to give trouble.

My plan is to change vehicle next year or perhaps even the second half of this year if I got a good deal somewhere. I'm looking for a 6 speed diesel as I do a lot of motorway driving.

I was thinking about the Octavia as its available on 0% PCP. My wife drives an Ibiza so we would also have repairs/services etc. through the one dealer.

My budget will be about 25k but I'd like to go as fuel efficient as I can and get the best bang for buck on the 25k I'm spending (if I do spend that much).

Recommendations?

I'm in pretty much the same situation with a Mondeo, priced an Octavia during the week. 2.0 elegance with a few options worked out about €330pm on PCP with a €6k deposit. Retail with the options was €29500.

1.6 TDI is 5 speed only. Spoke to the salesman and according to him, the mileage cap only comes into it if you're handing the car back at the end. If you're changing it for a new one, it's taken as trade in like any other 3 year old Octavia with 150k with a settlement figure

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

or save a fortune and go for something like this, comfie seats, cruise control, 2 litre, 6 speed would be a must for me...

http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/showthread.php?t=128881

I drive a 2.5 petrol manual 3 series and 530 auto and the 530 auto does better on fuel at motorway speeds, revs lower and is quieter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

madmac187 wrote: »
    Don't buy PCP you will get screwed at the if you do over the mileage cap which is usually around 20k

If you don't roll it over for next three year, you will not...

Smiley11 wrote: »
    Weeellll...if the plan is to buy the Octavia out at the end of the term, then 0% PCP seems the way to go in my opinion. Its a type of free loan from what I can see... I'm no expert though! Otherwise, as madmac says, they'll screw you...by the kilometre!

There is not such thing as free lunch...

You'd get no cash discount when doing 0% PCP, you'd be more than certain to pay the sticker price...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭comanche_cor

grogi wrote: »
    There is not such thing as free lunch...

You'd get no cash discount when doing 0% PCP, you'd be more than certain to pay the sticker price...

I wouldn't be so sure of that, we bought a new VW on PCP last year, negotiated quiet easily by calling around a few garages. We however were buying something that was already in the country ..

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

Would make much more sense to get something a few years old with low mileage I would think.

Especially as you would end up with something that would be nicer to be in. If I was doing that amount of miles comfort would be my second priority after economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

If you do that mileage look first at what warranty is available.

Hyundai offer 5 year unlimited mileage warranty - for a high mileage user that is a priority.

It also includes AA and annual car check.

Kia offer 7 years, but limited to 150,000 km

Mitsubishi are 8 years and 150000 km

Basic Hyundai i40 is 26k and real mpg is 50-55. (official is 65)

Zurbaran wrote: »
    Would make much more sense to get something a few years old with low mileage I would think.

Especially as you would end up with something that would be nicer to be in. If I was doing that amount of miles comfort would be my second priority after economy.
    If you are doing high mileage comfort and dependability is priority over economy. I do about 70k (and have done for 30years) and experience tells me arriving relaxed is far more important than a small saving in fuel especially as most new cars do 50+ mpg in real conditions.

VincePP wrote: »
    If you are doing high mileage comfort and dependability is priority over economy. I do about 70k (and have done for 30years) and experience tells me arriving relaxed is far more important than a small saving in fuel especially as most new cars do 50+ mpg in real conditions.
    Good point. Warrantys on new cars didn't cross my mind for some reason.

I would say real world mpg would be really important though as 5mpg difference would mean a lot of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I nominate the Volvo v40, 2.0 diesel, Pure comfort, Fuel efficient, 3 years warranty, 2 years Volvo assist and if you wait until 2017 there's a new facelift model coming out and i'll probably be trading in mine ;)

Autosport wrote: »
    I nominate the Volvo v40, 2.0 diesel, Pure comfort, Fuel efficient, 3 years warranty, 2 years Volvo assist and if you wait until 2017 there's a new facelift model coming out and i'll probably be trading in mine ;)
    Would have thought they would be a fair bit more than 25k?

I'd go for something like a second hand Accord EX.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Would have thought they would be a fair bit more than 25k?

I'd go for something like a second hand Accord EX.

New facelift would obvious make the old model cheaper ;)

I would say real world mpg would be really important though as 5mpg difference would mean a lot of money.

At average price of €5 a gallon (€1.10 per litre) 50mpg comes out at a nice rounded 10c/mile. 30,000 miles (50k km) is about 3k in fuel costs.

45mpg = 3.3k in fuel, so an extra €300.

Real MPG seems to be about 25% below stated mpg, but I have got close to the stated MPG of my car (63mpg) by driving at exactly 100kmh on motorway from Kildare to Waterford and back

Autosport wrote: »
    New facelift would obvious make the old model cheaper ;)

Except the tiny little fact that Honda is not going to sell Accord in Europe anymore...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

grogi wrote: »
    Except the tiny little fact that Honda is not going to sell Accord in Europe anymore...

Just as well they were speaking about the Volvo then:p

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I'm in pretty much the same situation with a Mondeo, priced an Octavia during the week. 2.0 elegance with a few options worked out about €330pm on PCP with a €6k deposit. Retail with the options was €29500.

1.6 TDI is 5 speed only. Spoke to the salesman and according to him, the mileage cap only comes into it if you're handing the car back at the end. If you're changing it for a new one, it's taken as trade in like any other 3 year old Octavia with 150k with a settlement figure

My plan would be to keep the car at the end alright.

I get what people are saying about buying a second hand car for the mileage but I have had problems with second hand cars in the past so would prefer to go with new for a change.

Advertisement