Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is Meath at 4 or up to 5 digits on the ZV plates?

Options
  • 02-03-2016 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I am registering a classic tomorrow and have the option of registering in Dublin (me) or Meath (another). Does anyone know if Meath is by any chance still on 4 digits?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Everywhere is 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Drexl

Everywhere is 5.

Thanks Kenny

Drexl wrote: »
    Thanks Kenny

No problem. I'm not 100% on that, but I haven't heard of a new 4 digit ZV being issued in a couple of years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭Silvera

It's high time that reverse ZV plates were introduced, i.e.

'1234 ZV'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Not all ZVs are 5 digit...

• Advertisement

Not all ZVs are 5 digit...

Which county is still on four?

I went for Dublin so I'll be getting 5 digit.

The car was from NI. It's a 1982 Rover SD1 2000. The plates I took off were white and yellow with raised black plastic A type letters/digits on them, with sizes similar to today's. Which I think is typical for the era.

The commonly available ZV plates seem to be black, with 89mm height letters, raised pressed aluminium. I think this is more typical of older era cars.

I'm thinking of going for black, with plastic raised A type letters/digits in silver, similar to today's sizes.

Would this be technically incorrect or ok do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

BTW:Could someone tell me, after you have searched for a thread and found it, how do you link the complete thread?

hi5 wrote: »
    BTW:Could someone tell me, after you have searched for a thread and found it, how do you link the complete thread?

Full thread link is up top right.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75629769#post75629769

• Advertisement

Thanks Kenny Logins, I think I need an eye test.

I went for Dublin so I'll be getting 5 digit.

The car was from NI. It's a 1982 Rover SD1 2000. The plates I took off were white and yellow with raised black plastic A type letters/digits on them, with sizes similar to today's. Which I think is typical for the era.

The commonly available ZV plates seem to be black, with 89mm height letters, raised pressed aluminium. I think this is more typical of older era cars.

I'm thinking of going for black, with plastic raised A type letters/digits in silver, similar to today's sizes.

Would this be technically incorrect or ok do you know?

The period-correct style plates for that year of car would be white front plate / red rear plate c/w plastic digits attached ....OR .... plastic / acrylic plates in white / red (or black with silver lettering) front and rear. The most important part is the large-style lettering (i.e NOT the current-size digits)

Correct plates cost a bit more than modern style "vintage plates", but are well worth it to make a car period-correct.

Both of these suppliers can make up the correct-style of plate -

http://www.eireplates.com/plasticdigitsamples.asp

http://www.autojumbler.ie/Red%20and%20White%20Number%20plates.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Toying with the idea of proper red and white ones for my 924 (83 D 4XXX).

Just not sure if they work with anything but an original Irish number.

Dades wrote: »
    Toying with the idea of proper red and white ones for my 924 (83 D 4XXX).

Just not sure if they work with anything but an original Irish number.

Go for it...they do work...I've seen 'Year' and 'ZV' plates in white/red and they look much better/more appropriate.

Silvera wrote: »
    The period-correct style plates for that year of car would be white front plate / red rear plate c/w plastic digits attached ....OR .... plastic / acrylic plates in white / red (or black with silver lettering) front and rear. The most important part is the large-style lettering (i.e NOT the current-size digits)

Correct plates cost a bit more than modern style "vintage plates", but are well worth it to make a car period-correct.

Both of these suppliers can make up the correct-style of plate -

Thanks Silvera, just what I was looking for. I'm not sure I have the cojones for the white/red plates though, I think it will be the silver on black, with large lettering!

Thanks Silvera, just what I was looking for. I'm not sure I have the cojones for the white/red plates though, I think it will be the silver on black, with large lettering!

Actually I take that back. I just looked at your link from Autojumbler and the white/red look very cool. Showing my age now, but I remember the look of them!!

Advertisement