Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering exam, what questions to do??

Options
  • 02-03-2016 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭

In May my level 7 engineering maths exam takes place, I'm weak enough in maths as it stands so I'm going to focus on questions to get me over the line, we have covered partial fractions, matrices, complex numbers,diffrentiation,intergration, laplace, first order linear, second order dif, My question is, which is the best to focus on? matrices seem ok'ish (it's a start!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,963 ✭✭✭✭bnt

When I did Engineering Maths I found Matrices OK once I was able to visualise what was going on. Solving them is essentially algorithmic, which is why computers are so good at them. (When you play a 3D game, the GPU in your computer or console is calculating billions of matrices every second.)

I didn't do so well in some of the other stuff, for a reason that I only figured out later: there's a lot of memorisation in Calculus in particular. Standard integrals and differentials? Memorise them, along with rules such as the Chain Rule. Differential equations? Memorise the different forms and the multi-stage methods for solving them. Laplace or Fourier transforms? Got to memorise them too. It got to the point where I forgot why I was doing it. :o

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Advertisement