Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CAD Program for drawing kitchens for business

Options
  • 02-03-2016 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hi
    What do people recommend as a good CAD program for drawing kitchens. It is for business and want the renders and drawings to look impressive. We will also need to be teaching one or two people to use it so the support for that is important too.
    Also where to buy.
    Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Hi Melena,

I would be suggesting that something like Solidworks would be for what you describe. Solidworks is a CAD program that is specifically for designing for manufacture. While it is often used for designing tools, machines etc, I would think it can effectively be used for kitchens too and I know it can produce some great renders.

Like everything else though, to get the best out of it you need competency, time and skill. Autocad would be least complicated while still producing results, but won't be as 'flash' as other CAD packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

"Drawing kitchens" is a broad term. 2D drawings + 3D rendering for client? Are you going to use models of furniture from vendors or you'll be creating it from scratch?

Have you seen this software? It's free & open source, but if you use it for business I'd try to support them to make the software even better :-)

http://www.sweethome3d.com/
    http://www.sweethome3d.com/gallery.jsp
    http://www.sweethome3d.com/images/gallery/SweetHome3DExample7-Photo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Hi Melena,

I would be suggesting that something like Solidworks would be for what you describe.
    I would have thought solidworks was overkill for making kitchens. It costs something like €6 grand or more.

There are easier and cheaper packages along the same lines that he could use. IronCAD for example. Still not cheap and still probably overkill, but very easy to use.

I wouldn't overlook the likes of google sketchup. They do a product specifically for floorplans. I think the price is somewhere in the region of €600. you could download the free version which seems to be almost identical to try out how it works.

You probably wouldn't get a nice rendered 3d image that looks realistic at the end of it but it's would be easy to read the plan.

I came across this package called ArtiCAD-Pro which seems specifically made for designing kitchens.

Advertisement