Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passive Houses in Dun Laoghaire

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

josip wrote: »
    There I was reading my Global Gizmag news and I stumbled across an article about the town I'm sitting in.

http://www.gizmag.com/passive-house-law-ireland/42037/

Has this been mentioned anywhere else?
    New news or Old news?
    Does anyone think this will fly or is it flying a kite?

More on this HERE. The editor, Jeff Colley, has been one of the movers and shakers pushing better building standards in a number of Local Authority areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

"passive house mandatory" sounds to me like we dont have any more housing problems in Ireland. Or I live on another planet maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,312 ✭✭✭✭ted1

zom wrote: »
    "passive house mandatory" sounds to me like we dont have any more housing problems in Ireland. Or I live on another planet maybe.

Why's that? Have you a issue with them ?

I have issue with lack of standard housing and people living on the streets. I don't have issue with "passive houses" - only with "mandatory".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

It's as easy build them one way as the other once you get the hang of it

it always goes like this :

"you're building it what way ????? why ? no sense in that "

year later, same person :

" why are you still building them that way, no one does that "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,312 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I have issue with lack of standard housing and people living on the streets. I don't have issue with "passive houses" - only with "mandatory".

Why? I'm not really following your logic , what's wrong with passiv houses?
    How is having good quality housing that uses very little energy bad ?

Here's a piece on grange lough, Ireland's first Passiv house development : http://www.munsterjoinery.ie/filedownload.jsp?file=Irish_spin_on_passive_house1.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭wildgreen

Would a fire spread more quickly in a passive house than in a more standard house? Do masonry exterior walls impede the spread of a fire?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dathi

wildgreen wrote: »
    Would a fire spread more quickly in a passive house than in a more standard house? Do masonry exterior walls impede the spread of a fire?

passive houses can be built with either a timber frame or masonry wall and no a fire would not spread more quickly in a passive house as it still has to comply with all the other building regulations the same as a standard house. its just built to a higher standard with regard to insulation, air tightness,ventilation system etc.

wildgreen wrote: »

Exterior walls don't have much impact on house in fire itself. In term of building technology, fire protection of structural elements (ceilings, stairs) is much more important. And as most of thermal insulation materials are fire proof, well insulated house is more fire proof too.

Advertisement