Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving test fail pattern

Options
  • 02-03-2016 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

my spouse done 4 driving tests and was not successfull.
    each time they seems to find one major fault and repeat same feedback.

"you failed just for one mistake, should have passed otherwise"

feels they assess the driver in some other ways and pick some random mistake to fail them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,566 ✭✭✭SteM

feels they assess the driver in some other ways and pick some random mistake to fail them.

What other ways do you feel your spouse is being assessed? Would she consider trying a different test centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

That happened to me in my last (third) test. To be honest, I know I really did badly on my first test and can't quibble with the instructor's comments on the second test. But on the third test I thought I did brilliantly (and I'm a driver with 30 years' experience in the US and a year total in Scotland on my US license, ffs, I'm no tyro), and I missed by one fault that I honestly disagreed with. I couldn't afford to pay for a new test right after that one, either, since even though I am working, we are just barely getting by as it is. Everyone here says they make too much money off repeat tests to allow most people to pass easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 joe_joe_jo

SteM wrote: »
    What other ways do you feel your spouse is being assessed? Would she consider trying a different test centre?

I meant from their experience by seeing somebody driving they make up their mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

I think that's just making excuses. Does the instructor even know what attempt you're on? It could be the first or the twenty first.

I think that's just making excuses. Does the instructor even know what attempt you're on? It could be the first or the twenty first.

Well, given as low a pass rate as many centres have, it hardly matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Speedwell wrote: »

A major fault is called a major fault for a reason. The driving exams and procedures in Ireland produce some fantastically bad drivers. Low pass rates are only a good thing . A driving licence isn't a right , its a privilege .

papu wrote: »
    A major fault is called a major fault for a reason. The driving exams and procedures in Ireland produce some fantastically bad drivers. Low pass rates are only a good thing . A driving licence isn't a right , its a privilege .

Thanks for the sanctimony. So nobody is ever treated unfairly? I haven't had so much as a speeding ticket in 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,566 ✭✭✭SteM

If pass rates were practically the same in every test centre then I might agree with you but there was a 27% swing between the best and worst centres in 2014. That suggests to me that people are being tested and passed on merit, not on instruction that x amount have to fail per year.

Practically a 70% pass rate in Sligo in 2014. 7 out of every 10 people tested pass. 3rd highest pass rate in the country. Seems a good rate to me.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

How long of a gap has there been between each test?

Prior to each test what preparation did she do with an ADI?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭kirving

It's still a bit disingenuous to tell someone they should have passed, but they failed for a single mistake. In all likelihood, it's a stupid mistake that would probably happen whether the person passed their test or not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The national average is 53.5% Pass rate, which isn't necessarily low. In the UK it is lower at 43% according to Wikipedia, and Aus is similar to the UK. So I think it is wrong to assume that there is some conspiracy there to fail people. The test is stressful, and it can be easy to make 8+ mistakes if your are nervous or inexperienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

It's still a bit disingenuous to tell someone they should have passed, but they failed for a single mistake. In all likelihood, it's a stupid mistake that would probably happen whether the person passed their test or not.

I think it's called "trying to let people down gently", and "not being a prick when telling people they've failed".

It's code for "generally your driving isn't completely horrendous, nevertheless you made one mistake which is big enough to be considered major while we were specifically testing you against this known list of behaviours and skills".

Consider it along the lines of "Well, you showed good skills with a scalpel, and some lovely suturing there. You washed your hands well, and knew how to use each of the tools. However, you did remove that man's heart instead of his appendix like we asked you to."

Advertisement