Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting bathroom - Advice Please - Mould

Options
  • 02-03-2016 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

We had our house renovated two years ago. The builder used a painter who was crap. All the paint in the house has started to chip away - showing us that there is no primer used on any of the walls.

Anyway, our bathroom has a wall which is an outside wall. There is a vent in one corner of the room and a bit of mould has developed in the other corner. Before you say it, we use the air extractor vent all the time, and open windows. We have wiped the mould away a couple of times with bleach, and some paint came away with it.

Someone told us that the mould wouldn't have developed if the painter had used a suitable primer and a paint suitable for bathrooms. He said that we could just clean away the mould with bleach and some mould remover (I bought some in woodies the other day). While we cant use a primer now, his advice was to do this cleaning, and then to paint over the bathroom entirely with a high gloss paint. I am off to Farrow and Ball at the weekend as I have seen a colour I really like, and as the bathroom is very small am going to splash out on the paint.

Before I do, does this make sense to anyone who knows about these things? Or would you have alternative advice. I have seen a thread where someone says to mix some mould stuff into the paint.

Any advice would be really, really welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Borisgem8

Mold in bathrooms happens when there is no proper ventilation from the bath/shower steam. While there are paints that can be used that will some what resist molding, nothing is 100%. Cheap paint should never be used in the bathroom though. My friend's bathroom gets mold and the wall is actually falling apart because the owner of the house cheaped out on supplies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

If you have mould in the bathroom DO NOT use a gloss paint. The walls need to breathe. If you use a gloss, then the moisture will sit on top and I'll guarantee you, your mould problem will get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Gangu

dok_golf wrote: »
    If you have mould in the bathroom DO NOT use a gloss paint. The walls need to breathe. If you use a gloss, then the moisture will sit on top and I'll guarantee you, your mould problem will get worse.

OK! That makes sense. What sort of paint is recommended for a bathroom then?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭king size mars bar

Is the mould on the wall or ceiling in the bathroom and if the ceiling is it an upstairs bathroom.

Is the mould on the wall or ceiling in the bathroom and if the ceiling is it an upstairs bathroom.
    Its on the wall, maybe there's a spec or two on the ceiling. Its an outside wall and one of the only ones that we did not insulate as it wasn't practicable.

• Advertisement

We bought an insulating primer paint and also covered it with a Farrow & Ball floor paint. Looks great so far. We hope to get a few years out if it before mould returns. We'll see.

Advertisement