Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Performance/video analysis

Options
  • 02-03-2016 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Do any club teams use video analysis regularly for matches?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭sligolad1

Also, how much would it cost per match?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭big_drive

Around €4,500 if you want to purchase the software and equipment and do ot yourselves within the club

About the €200 mark if you want to hire someone from outside to do it per game for you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭deadybai

Just out of interest. What does the analysis consist of? Must be fairly high tech if it's that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭big_drive

Yeah its serious detail about every player, every possession, puck outs/kick outs won lost, % of possession.

Breaks down players performance regarding passes, blocks, shots, etc, etc...

I've seen it done in my own club and have to say its excellent. could even be a bit too detailed in some ways

Some of the results would surprise you. For example you may think a certain player only played ok but then you see the analysis and realise he actually completed 12 tackles and used the ball effectively 78% of the time. It kinda highlights good work that isn't spectacular and goes unnoticed to many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Video the game, rewatch it, take notes while rewatching, give stats, show examples of good and poor play

do not focus on any one player.
    If you want you can show clips to a player on their own

don't spend a fortune on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Video the game, rewatch it, take notes while rewatching, give stats, show examples of good and poor play

do not focus on any one player.
    If you want you can show clips to a player on their own

don't spend a fortune on it

Yeah agreed - you can also upload the game to up yer own youtube channel and have the players watch the recorded game before their next session - let the players focus on their performances ahead of feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Came across this software before: http://www.longomatch.org

They have an open source (free) version and the full version is only €550 - might be worth a look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Actually getting someone to record the game properly is the biggest issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

How long does it take to get the full breakdown back to mgmt from a game?
    If you had a guy at the game (200 euro) can they have that ready for half time?
    I think its a valuable tool for a club if used as a positive coaching Aid. Could see some outside Managers however using it aggressively. Outside Managers tend to be short termist and seek to control in particular young impressionable players.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Actually getting someone to record the game properly is the biggest issue.

Yeah that's true .. really you need it to be shot from an elevated vantage point with the complete pitch in focus .. not just follow the action

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Kinovea is a decent free version for video analysis.

I've used Dartfish before which was excellent - but I agree, the biggest issue is the videoing of the performance. If it is not videoed correctly, then you can spend hundreds on software but it won't give the analysis you want. Lot of stats guys still using paper at times and then video afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

In our club we'd have 2 methods - paper based for instant feedback to mgt during the game and then video as well for detailed analysis afterwards. Video, done right, costs us €120/match and the analysis after costs around €90. We get a highlights package, detailed video analysis for that though that can be shown to the players as well as breakdown of stats. We wouldn't get all matches videoed - usually 3/4 league games and all the championship games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 aidoatesa

Paralysis by analysis :)

Despite what it might seem from reading on, I believe well planned (but suitable) Performance Analysis is perhaps the most important of support services to teams. So much so, I believe a good analyst can be more important to a manager than his/her assistant. It can act as a link between the manager, and coaches and team members in areas such as strength & conditioning, tactics, team dynamics/cohesion and so on.

The level of detail does of course vary, but personally I don't see the point of over analysing too many variables at least in club games.

What I mean is, I feel there's too many super long and super detailed, but ultimately auto-populated report sheets being handed to team managers (clients) by analysts (or folk with expensive software).

That would be fine if the sole aim of Performance Analysis was to provide black and white facts to management and/or players. Thankfully, it's not, and much like general statistics can be reported in such a way to almost manipulate the reader, another key consideration of Performance Analysis is to influence the squad of players.

Clubs are paying big money for professional detailed statistical breakdown of their games along with varying levels of video analysis. But does the clubs analyst understand the managers philosophy, and the key messages he/she wants to get across between games? What tactics or particular aspects to the teams game/style are being worked on? Does he/she understand the team dynamic, or the current mindset of players? Might a confidence boost be required or a light reality check after a particular performance(s)? Indeed, a good analyst might notice something of interest that might well influence the managers thinking.

The more powerful these software packages become, the more people forget performance is more than just numbers. Sure it can tell you a player made 12 successful tackles, but might he/she have been responsible for having to make many of these tackles through poor positioning, a bad touch, etc? Did the opponent make it easy for him/her to make many of these tackles? Easier than an opponent in the following round might be expected to? Perhaps he/she may indeed have had a bad game? :) - And on another level, perhaps a particular teammates smart supporting position or movement gave him the opportunity to make these tackles? This teammate won't receive a score for some game saving performance when 5yards from the ball.

So I believe PA does indeed provide valuable information to both management and players, and I believe every team should use the service, but imo it's the quality and not the quantity :)

Effectively, a well thought out 4min team video presentation, with a well thought out 2page stat report , will influence a team far greater than 20pages of detail and hours of individual footage.

So them's my two cents anyway :)

Advertisement