Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

05 Ford Focus 1.4 petrol - any good?

Options
  • 02-03-2016 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

I am thinking I might buy a 05 Ford Focus 1.4, the new model type.
    Are they any good? Any faults etc!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

If you in any way like driving don't buy one, they are cronically slow. They just don't pull at all in the lower gears leaving you afraid to overtake a slower vehicle. Why not get the 1.6? Not exactly fast but a much better drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

they are quite slow and heavy. but immensely popular so dependin on what you want out of a car it could be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ProfessorChef

I have the 2005 1.4 Ford Focus LX

Steady car and not much faults with it, as for speed I have no problem overtaking it definitely has the power to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ProfessorChef

This post has been deleted.

Haha it's been my first car at a young age so I suppose I'm going to say that. Obviously acceleration wise it can take a while to get going but it's a comfortable ride. If I'm gonna make a jump might as well jump high ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,123 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I have the 2005 1.4 Ford Focus LX

Steady car and not much faults with it, as for speed I have no problem overtaking it definitely has the power to do so.

I think you might need to broaden your driving experience of similar cars for comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Arkady

The MK1 1.4 petrol focus was grand.
    But if you're getting a MK2, get the 1.6 petrol. Much harder to find in Ireland though.
    The MK2 1.4 petrol was a sluggish paddyspec VRT special.
    The motor tax is only marginally more, and the MPG will probably actually be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Arkady wrote: »
    But if you're getting a MK2, get the 1.6 petrol. Much harder to find in Ireland though.
    The motor tax is only marginally more, and the MPG will probably actually be better.
    Agree with this. The 1.4 is not particularly economical. Performance is ok if you you are not in a massive hurry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Going up hills is a struggle for a 1.4 Ford Focus.

I had one (2007 1.4) and had no problems bar the lack of power.

A mate of mine had one and he hated it and had problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭raher1

Agree with this. The 1.4 is not particularly economical. Performance is ok if you you are not in a massive hurry

What the miles per gallon, normal cars are 44 miles per gallon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

raher1 wrote: »
    What the miles per gallon, normal cars are 44 miles per gallon

You're not going to see near that I'd say. 35-37 combined mpg.

Have a look on spiritmonitor.de for real life figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭raher1

Arkady wrote: »

i was looking at mk1 types, is there much of a difference between both models?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Arkady

The mk1 was a good car in its day, but the mk2 is roomier, and is a considerable step ahead in terms of safety and comfort, when it's paired with the correct engine for the car. I'd take a well looked after mk1 1.4, over a 1.4 mark2 though. They never should have put a 1.4 engine in the mark2. As I said its a paddyspec special, the mk2 in the UK did not have any 1.4 petrol option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

raher1 wrote: »
    i was looking at mk1 types, is there much of a difference between both models?

I have a 04 mk1 1.4l petrol focus and I love it. It's coming up to upgrade time for me and I'd love a newer focus but might have to trade down a little. Only time I notice the car labouring on a hill is the Dundrum ramp on to the M50 north, never notice it anywhere else

With the Mk1 focus, i had a 1.4 hatchback, and a 1.6 estate, and driving them were night and day comparisons. 1.6 was like a sports car in comparison (that said, the 1.4 was my first car, so it was plenty fast for me). But the 1.4 was, as said above, very sluggish with overtaking or building up speed.

Building up speed from a stop isn't so bad, but when merging onto motorways or overtaking or anything that involves building speed when the car's already moving is a tedious prospect.

My friend has a 1.4 Mk2 that I've drove a few times and it's very similar to the Mk1 in how it acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭jones 19

Very reliable car and that's what counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

So is a Suzuki liana.

Advertisement