Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honeywell Evohome installers in Ireland

Options
  • 01-03-2016 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

I have been looking at the Honeywell Evohome for my house. I am trying to find an installer here in Ireland. The only one that I can find is Electric Ireland who do it as a deal but they lock you into a two year contract (costs 250 more a year than Energia for example) and they advise that for 10 rads it is 1099, but for 13 the price raises to nearly 2000 (net)...

You can get the 600 euro grant and they will give you a discount on future bulls but you have to pay everything up front (almost 3k).

I am convinced that there is someone out there that can do it substantially cheaper... or is there anyone that has experience of this and thinks i am barking mad and should get them to do it?

all help and advise greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

Did you have any luck with this? Interested myself, finding the same problem on cost and supplier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Hi,

Got the kit from the online shop,with 8 valves,hot water,boiler control and wifi/internet smartapp.Ordered the underfloor couple days ago.
    Installed in my home DIY...all works fine !

Where do you get these prices !? :)
    There is a video on YouTube that explains all the hidden installed tricks.

Enjoy it...

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

Fair play.... I'd probably be alright with the kit but the underfloor would probably be a stretch for me.

You've saved a fortune there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

rolion wrote: »
    Hi,

Got the kit from the online shop,with 8 valves,hot water,boiler control and wifi/internet smartapp.Ordered the underfloor couple days ago.
    Installed in my home DIY...all works fine !

Where do you get these prices !? :)
    There is a video on YouTube that explains all the hidden installed tricks.

Enjoy it...

Hi Rolion,

Was it this kit?
    https://theevohomeshop.co.uk/honeywell-evohome-connected-value-packs/75-honeywell-evohome-wi-fi-connected-value-pack-a.html

Just moved into a new (to me) house and was thinking along those lines. Is the Honeywell one well received/rated?
    Cheers!
    R.

Roen wrote: »
    Hi Rolion,

Was it this kit?
    https://theevohomeshop.co.uk/honeywell-evohome-connected-value-packs/75-honeywell-evohome-wi-fi-connected-value-pack-a.html

Just moved into a new (to me) house and was thinking along those lines. Is the Honeywell one well received/rated?
    Cheers!
    R.

Yes,that is the one.

I have been "forced" to go with this option due to crap,bad, planning, design and execution of the plumbers and builders of the pre_tiger times...i wasnt able to separate the heating radiators in zones or floors,as the layout of the pipes were all over the place.

In the end,it need to buy additional radiator valves as it needs to control A L L radiators in the house heated by the same boiler !!! Otherwise,you will have a radiator that will keep the boiler running under demand until that zone reached the set / reset values.
    Now, I can see at a glance what temperatures are in each room and switch them on/off or at a preset temp or time.
    It has 7 days scheduler with 5 programmes per zone per day.
    Handy application on the web and / or on the mobile phone.

Install it DIY easily but i had to do my RTFM to see how to install the DHW kit !
    Is replacing the current thermostat connection,so far... but needs careful reading as is using live 220v .

Enjoy it !!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Cheers. Appreciate the reply.
    One thing is clear from my end. More research needed!

@OP Best of luck with the project and if I come across any installers I'll post here.

On thing that bothers me is that cannot be wall mounted unless you buy the additinal wall plate / power supply.
    Also,the controller's internal battery is not keeping long enough out of the charging craddle,not even an overnighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Mizuno Man

Just had the Evohome installed ourselves. 10 rads all zoned separately plus Hot Water. I think it is absolutely great!

Installed through Electric Ireland who we had recently signed up to anyway so extending the contract was no big deal. 1300 euro total. Absolutely faultless process from initial survey to confirmation of install date, payment, etc, etc. I was quite surprised actually as I originally stayed away from them because I thought it would drag out and cost an arm and a leg in the process.

If I bought just the parts myself it would have cost me around 1k. It took the guy a full day to get set up and running (he discovered a couple of issues with our existing hardware). So 1300 for everything including a full days labour doesn't sound bad at all to me.

I have read all sorts of comments here and there about whether it is worth the cost and so on. To me at least, it is worth every penny. It is not all about saving energy or gas bills, it is also largely to do with convenience. Two examples:

Two kids at home. We have set the Evohome to heat their bed room for bed time, then at their usual lights off time it drops to maintain a comfortable minimum temperature through the night, then warms again for wake up and school and then shuts off for the rest of the day. The bathroom is warm just before and after each of these times for them too.

We have relatives stay occasionally. The spare room is at a very low tick over temperature all the time. If someone is over to visit then it's simple to heat the room at the start and the end of the day. If they want to control it themselves the HR92 TRV allows them to adjust the temperature to whatever they want but only until the next timed switch point. So we don't have Granny turn up the rad in the morning jujst before she leaves and find the room melting a day or two later!

First world problems? Absolutely! :) But the level of customisation and control is unlike anything else out there. Add in the mobile app control for when you go away for a week but forget to shut off the heating walking out the door and money is definitely saved. Is it necessary to be able to sit watching telly and warm the bathroom a little earlier as you might have a shower before bed - without getting up off your arse? Absolutely not! But it's nice to be able to do it! Only heat what rooms you want heated when you want them warm. No more wasted energy heating rooms that nobody will be in.

Our heating bills will definitely reduce but it will still take us a very long time to make up the cost of installation, but the convenience is worth every penny as far as I am concerned.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just one piece of guidance on the honeywell system - we had it installed very early on - about 18 months ago, and have just had to change the first set of batteries in one of the radiator valves. just be warned that the battery display on the LCD screen can be a little misleading, it showed two out of three bars, but the batteries were too flat to open the valve and it did not display an error; so it had me scratching my head for a few minutes.
    still, 18 months out of a pair of AAs is not too bad.

we did get an email for electric ireland a month or two back saying it was time to change the batteries, maybe it's a known quirk with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Mizuno Man

just one piece of guidance on the honeywell system - we had it installed very early on - about 18 months ago, and have just had to change the first set of batteries in one of the radiator valves. just be warned that the battery display on the LCD screen can be a little misleading, it showed two out of three bars, but the batteries were too flat to open the valve and it did not display an error; so it had me scratching my head for a few minutes.
    still, 18 months out of a pair of AAs is not too bad.

we did get an email for electric ireland a month or two back saying it was time to change the batteries, maybe it's a known quirk with them.

Were they the original batteries that came with the TRV magic? When replacing batteries, I'll probably either replace with reasonably high capacity Alkalines or high capacity rechargeables. Rechargeables are expensive but two refills and reinstalls will see the money back quickly I expect. But it's good to know to keep an eye on the TRV's when you think the batteries are likely to be on the way out.

Two weeks with the Evohome now and I love it. We are still tweaking it a bit here and there - such as adding an offset to the temperature sensing of one TRV - as well as playing with the schedules a bit more.

But mostly we are leaving it alone and only interacting with it every now and then. I am a big fan of the economy bit that brings the heat on in advance to meet your required temperature at exactly the set time. It is said to be clever in reacting to the actual room temperature and adjusting when to begin heating accordingly - I've seen it in action now and it's great! At the other end it turns off the heat earlier than your program off time depending on how the room has been responding and retaining heat.

My only real complaint is with the app on the iPhone which does what it needs to but is a bit buggy now and again.

I have also set a couple of IFTTT recipes now too - one that lets me boost either HW or the downstairs rooms, and another that will shut off the boiler completely if any of my Nest Smoke Alarms detect CO.

It's good stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 fearanphoist

sounds like a good idea , anybody got a dual system using this ? i.e oil burner and stove

if the stove was on , obviously the evo controller will try send signal to the oil burner etc , can i set a profile for this setup to have the radiator valves in a default position for this

i was thinking of having a separate relay that will O/C the oil burner when the stove pump is on etc.

anybody any ideas thks

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭yak

Hi guys,

Does anyone know any installers for the evohome system?

Thanks,

Liam

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I approached Electric Ireland do install evoHome in my house - unfortunately if you don't have radiators the installers (well, the one who rocked up to my place) have very little knowledge of how it can control other systems like underfloor, heat-pumps etc.
    They had meant to quote me, haven't come back to me a week later so I bought the equipment myself via eBay - I couldn't get grants as my house was built after 2006 and I wasn't going to move to Electric Ireland as they are one of the most expensive electrically suppliers out there, turned out I saved 10~20% buying off eBay rather than 'official online sellers' :) so, pays to get your learn-on and look to install it all yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭yak

I ended up (sticking with) electric Ireland and getting netatmo, while it's quite basic the fact that it was free (with a gas boiler service) made it worthwhile based on the promise of upcoming TRVs... (that I'm still waiting for!)

I don't have a need for underfloor heating but free made it worthwhile...

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    I approached Electric Ireland do install evoHome in my house - unfortunately if you don't have radiators the installers (well, the one who rocked up to my place) have very little knowledge of how it can control other systems like underfloor, heat-pumps etc.
    They had meant to quote me, haven't come back to me a week later so I bought the equipment myself via eBay - I couldn't get grants as my house was built after 2006 and I wasn't going to move to Electric Ireland as they are one of the most expensive electrically suppliers out there, turned out I saved 10~20% buying off eBay rather than 'official online sellers' :) so, pays to get your learn-on and look to install it all yourself

yak wrote: »
    I ended up (sticking with) electric Ireland and getting netatmo, while it's quite basic the fact that it was free (with a gas boiler service) made it worthwhile based on the promise of upcoming TRVs... (that I'm still waiting for!)

I don't have a need for underfloor heating but free made it worthwhile...

I ordered and instaled the underfloor controls myself, as a simple DIY job.
    Works great but i had to compromise on the clip-on-pipe sensor,im using a room thermostat attached to the return pipe,it gives me about 5 degrees lower readings.
    But hey,all ok so far.

Enjoy it ! :)

415470.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

With the electric Ireland deal... are they assuming you have manual TRVs already on all rads or does that include swapping out standard valves to TRV?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Tom123

I am looking for an installer as need to replace valves on some of the radiators.

Anyone have any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 uksel

Hi, I may be able to help you with installation etc. Send me a message and let me know where you are based :)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭SeanElec1

Hi Guys,
    I'm interetsed in getting Honeywell Evohome in my house, which is in County Limerick. The thermostats and app seem easy enough, but I would need a professional to replace the boiler controls. Any recommendations?

Regards, Sean

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

SeanElec1 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    I'm interetsed in getting Honeywell Evohome in my house, which is in County Limerick. The thermostats and app seem easy enough, but I would need a professional to replace the boiler controls. Any recommendations?

Regards, Sean

Looking at this option for myself to work with a Dimplex A class heat pump. Curious to see what feedback you get.

• Advertisement

Will keep you informed.
    I'm trying to improve my attic insulation, put a balanced flue gas stove in place of an open fire (DRU) and automate the heating system properly. I do n't expect to save 1 cent on my annual fuel bill but I want a more stable indoor temperature.

Regards, Sean.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭xl500

SeanElec1 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Regards, Sean

Going by your handle are you electrican if so you could easily replace controls yourself

Or if your current boiler is switched externally by a time clock then you just replace that with Evohome reciever (BDR91) no need to touch boiler as all wiring is external and the only mains wiring is the Honeywell Reciever which replaces the timeclock

What have you at present in the way of Thermostats timers etc

xl500, I have an EPH wireless system, not Ember, the version before that. It's not up to much. I have an electrical design background approx 20 years ago, not an electrician but I will look up the BDR91. Thanks for the tips.

Regards, Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cornet

Electric Ireland website states that as a guide a standard semi-d with 8 rads will cost €1,215. Is this before or after the grants? I got a quote of €2,800 for 9 rads before grants which come to €1057. So almost €1,800 plus BER cert cost - v.hard to see the payback on this. Am I missing something???
    House is standard 3 bed semi-d but no zoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭wtawfick

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know of any experienced installers in Galway?

I upgraded to a new oil boiler last year. The plumber who installed it was supposed to install zoning for downstairs, upstairs and hot water. However, doesn't look like its worked out. When we turn on heating for hot water, it heats the whole house and the water. When we turn on downstairs, nothing happens. Same thing for upstairs. Unfortunately, can't pin him down to come back and fix it ever since.

So was thinking of the Evohome, hoping that it might sort all of this out, without having to replumb anything again.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

I cant help you with installers in Galway, but I can tell you that the first thing you need is for your existing system to be working. If it's plumbed wrong, these smart controllers wont fix it.
    If you cant get that plumber back, then try some others.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭wtawfick

Wearb wrote: »
    I cant help you with installers in Galway, but I can tell you that the first thing you need is for your existing system to be working. If it's plumbed wrong, these smart controllers wont fix it.
    If you cant get that plumber back, then try some others.

Thanks Wearb,

Will try to see if I can get someone over to have a look at it. May find that I have to wait till after COVID-19 has settled, but worth a try.

At least I now know that I'll need to get the plumbing sorted first. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6 kpapala

Looking to install honeywell evohome system; was with Electric Ireland but moved recently to Board Gais. Looking to buy online and have a professional to come and install it. Any recommendations?
    Specifics of the house
    3 storey semiD
    14 rads (2 of them bathroom towel rails do I need TVR there?)
    Three zones with thermostats on each floor
    Water and gas separate manual switches off the same boiler (Vokera).
    House built 2012

I’m useless with DIY so need professional help. Recommendations welcomed

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭hadit2here

Tom123 wrote: »
    I am looking for an installer as need to replace valves on some of the radiators.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I got the following guys to do it a few years ago
    Not sure if they still do it...

Gas Or Oil Heating Services
    Kilmacredock
    Maynooth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭mp3guy

I had a question about the hot water integration of the Evohome. I was told they put a new valve just ahead of your hot water cylindar that's controlled by the system, is this true? How is this valve powered if you don't have any extra sockets there?

Advertisement